What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Most interesting 1st time RV'ers

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
In my 40+ hours since flying off Phase I, I have hauled 15 passengers. My last three have been the most interesting, and in many ways, humbling. Together they totalled over 40,000 hours PIC time. While I enjoy doing Eagle Flights, having someone whom I consider a better pilot than I in the right seat is a real treat.

The first, a few weeks ago, was until recently the chief test pilot for a major freight company (and a VAF member.) He is building a 9A, his second homebuilt. At the controls, he was feeling out the plane much like you might expect, getting an idea of what lies ahead for him and his own RV. It was easy to see that he would have no trouble. I really enjoyed watching him "work!"

The second, last Wednesday, was the Manager of Flight Ops for a major missionary organization in Africa. He has 9000 hours and directs a fleet of 206's, Caravan's and a turbine DC-3. He had never been in a homebuilt of any kind. He was most interested in the glass panel stuff. While he flew with great expertise, he was very cautious, almost overly so. Mild banks and gentle transitions in speed and pitch were the order of the day. He smiled a lot and commented on how easy and light the controls felt.

Yesterday I flew with the finest pilot I have ever known, a trainer of missionary bush pilots with an incredible resume and ratings to boot. It was an all together different experience. Flick.. flick.. push.. pull.. kick.. kick.. "Nice control separation." Next thing I know we are in an about 3 G turn left, then right. Ball always in the center and 0 ROC. Power on and power off were next. "This really flies nice." His first landing was just on the threshold with a throttle pulled only once and was smooth as glass. Then he repeated it. He said he flew a Kitfox once, his only homebuilt experience.

Perhaps I was most impressed when we got back to the house. I had set his seat as far forward as possible, but didn't have any boosters for height. He showed me a digital picture he had shot forward. He couldn't see over the instrument panel! And he flys with one eye, to boot. "There is plenty of visibility out the side." His comment to his wife said it all, "Sara, I know what I want for Christmas."

I have a lot of work to do. I have about 10% of the capability that my plane has. Just thought I'd share some of the most special RV flights to date.

Bob Kelly

My First Timer Flight

I know what you mean about the joy of giving a ride in my RV to someone that has a lot more experience than I have and them giving approval on my plane (either the workmanship that I did or the quality of the design that Van did). Recently I have given rides to two such people.

One was George Andre, an ex-Lockheed test pilot on the SR-71 and F-104 and former TWA/American captain. He also finished 2nd in the Gold this year at the Reno Air Races in the Formula One class in his Zipper and was in the silver finals in his Pitts in the biplane class. I took him up and with test pilot efficiency he checked out every aspect of the stabilty and controls of my RV-6A. In his short set of manuevers he had a very good understanding of all the flight characteristics and was dually impressed.

The second is a local kid, that learned to fly at the airport I am at, and has gone on to be a F/A-18E pilot who graduated top in his class in fighter school. He has return from his first deployment in the middle east. He had flown his Super Hornet back to St Louis for the weekend to visit his family. (How do I get a job that lets me fly a jet home for the weekend and I do not need to buy the gas. Unfortuantly, I just design them at the airplane factory and never get to ride in them.) He was very impressed with the RV and said he could get in some serious trouble if he had one to fly everyday.

I do like to give rides to people that have less time flying than I, but it is also fun to watch the faces of those that have flown much higher performing planes and see there reaction to how impressive the RV's fly.

Last edited:
On a more humble note...

I can safely fly and land an airplane and yet I am humbled by true 'pilots' who make it feel like poetry. While I may NEVER be that good, I am honored to have the privilege to be called a pilot.

At over 350hrs, I feel like an infant compared to the wise ones around me.

For one, thank you, Vern Darley. A good friend and 'still' an excellent pilot and teacher.

In my 40+ hours since flying off Phase I, I have hauled 15 passengers. My last three have been the most interesting, and in many ways, humbling. Together they totalled over 40,000 hours PIC time. While I enjoy doing Eagle Flights, having someone whom I consider a better pilot than I in the right seat is a real treat.

The first, a few weeks ago, was until recently the chief test pilot for a major freight company (and a VAF member.) He is building a 9A, his second homebuilt. At the controls, he was feeling out the plane much like you might expect, getting an idea of what lies ahead for him and his own RV. It was easy to see that he would have no trouble. I really enjoyed watching him "work!"

The second, last Wednesday, was the Manager of Flight Ops for a major missionary organization in Africa. He has 9000 hours and directs a fleet of 206's, Caravan's and a turbine DC-3. He had never been in a homebuilt of any kind. He was most interested in the glass panel stuff. While he flew with great expertise, he was very cautious, almost overly so. Mild banks and gentle transitions in speed and pitch were the order of the day. He smiled a lot and commented on how easy and light the controls felt.

Yesterday I flew with the finest pilot I have ever known, a trainer of missionary bush pilots with an incredible resume and ratings to boot. It was an all together different experience. Flick.. flick.. push.. pull.. kick.. kick.. "Nice control separation." Next thing I know we are in an about 3 G turn left, then right. Ball always in the center and 0 ROC. Power on and power off were next. "This really flies nice." His first landing was just on the threshold with a throttle pulled only once and was smooth as glass. Then he repeated it. He said he flew a Kitfox once, his only homebuilt experience.

Perhaps I was most impressed when we got back to the house. I had set his seat as far forward as possible, but didn't have any boosters for height. He showed me a digital picture he had shot forward. He couldn't see over the instrument panel! And he flys with one eye, to boot. "There is plenty of visibility out the side." His comment to his wife said it all, "Sara, I know what I want for Christmas."

I have a lot of work to do. I have about 10% of the capability that my plane has. Just thought I'd share some of the most special RV flights to date.

Bob Kelly

Bob,

By chance are you talking about Lionel? I spent some time with him at OSH this year, and had such a wonderful time.

I'm glad he got to go with you...

Tammy

Lionel

Yup, that's the guy. I count myself very blessed to call him friend. He and Sara spent the night with us Sunday. Not only is he a great pilot, instructor and friend, I don't think I have ever known anyone who appreciated the pure joy of flight more than he. It was such an honor to introduce him to RV's. To watch him work is a tremendous learning experience.

Bob

Most of the guys I've flown with are ex-military airline captains with thousands of hours... compared to my 160 TT. I feel like a baby compared to them :D It was a little unnerving at first. I've learned quite a bit about flying from all of them, though, especially from my dad (who's also former military).

My most interesting passenger was actually one of my professors... she's a former C-141 driver that hadn't flown in a couple years. She said afterwards that she hadn't had that much fun flying since basic--and she definitely hadn't done any acro since then.

Back