What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boone IA RV day

TShort

Well Known Member
We made it out for RV day in Boone, IA this year - not sure why the event wasn't more advertised, it's a great airport and they have breakfast AND lunch! We missed breakfast (taking delivery of a friend's -10 QB fuse), but made it just in time for lunch. Other than the "water landing" (approach end of the runway was surrounded by water, and the taxiway was covered) it was an uneventful trip:

29165730658_ae287d15b6_z.jpg

A bonus was that Mike Lauritsen from Cleaveland tool took us for a tour of the shop ... they are located just minutes from the airport. It was really cool to see where all the tools I have came from, and he has a neat display of stuff his father made (quite the craftsman, and he built an award winning RV-4 to boot!)

Here's where stuff gets made:

42135472075_16fd8aa192_z.jpg

You might recognize this from the side of the bus at OSH:

42988038452_126565f879_z.jpg

Thanks to Mike for the tour and hospitality!!

All in all, a great trip.

42988074842_56bb5d05a7_z.jpg

Stu Van Dyke (RV-6) and Jim Roerhig (RV-9)

My first ride

A fellow -10 builder in town gave me my very first ride in an RV to that nice little event. Got to oogle over a few other nice examples to look for ideas. Like the OP said, great food and it was cool to look over all the in-progress RVs they have in the shop.

My son liked getting lifted up to see the cockpits, and hanging out in the shade while I poured over details

8j2IJ8U.jpg

Back