What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel CAD File

Tgest

I'm New Here
I am rebuilding the panel on my RV6 (slider) and upgrading to the G3X. I can?t find a CAD file for the 6. I saw several people mention drawing their panels in AutoCAD or Solid Works. Could someone send me the file? I am planning on getting the panel laser cut.

Thanks

Do you prefer an AutoCAD or a Solidworks file? I have both for my tip-up canopy panel. You would need to check dimensions to be sure that it matches the slider.

I am rebuilding the panel on my RV6 (slider) and upgrading to the G3X. I can?t find a CAD file for the 6. I saw several people mention drawing their panels in AutoCAD or Solid Works. Could someone send me the file? I am planning on getting the panel laser cut.

Thanks

Hello TGest,

Thank you for choosing G3X for your RV-6 upgrade.

We don't have a CAD file for the RV-6 panel either, but we have RV-7/9 slider or tip up .dxf files for either G3X or G3X Touch displays with GMC305, GTR200, GTN650, GMA240, etc layouts that should get you started once you get the RV-6 panel drawing.

Just email us and we will send whatever you need.

Thanks,
Steve

I have Autocad for a tip up 6 and had it water jet cut. It fit fairly close, only slight filing on canopy one side. Not sure about a slider though.

GH

Be a bit wary of a premade RV6 CAD file from the interwebs. The only way to get an absolutely 100% accurate CAD file of an RV6 panel is to have your existing panel outline scanned or use your existing panel as a template.

The reason is that he RV6's were each cut by the builder and no two are exactly alike. We have cut many of these over the years and still do many of them...so you have two choices. Either get a CAD file with all the equipment in it for the cutouts, the canopy deck rails and the bottom fold, then leave the rest of the panel a big rectangle which you can then use your panel as a template to cutout, OR send us or some other reliable shop either your old panel (or a tracing of your panel) to be scanned into a CAD file for you - we do that regularly here for any custom panels that don't have a factory CAD file to work from. It costs very little time or money to have it scanned on a good CNC.....

Also, the tip-ups and sliders are different as well (though not as different as the 7/9 versions are).

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Be a bit wary of a premade RV6 CAD file from the interwebs. The only way to get an absolutely 100% accurate CAD file of an RV6 panel is to have your existing panel outline scanned or use your existing panel as a template.

The reason is that he RV6's were each cut by the builder and no two are exactly alike. We have cut many of these over the years and still do many of them...so you have two choices. Either get a CAD file with all the equipment in it for the cutouts, the canopy deck rails and the bottom fold, then leave the rest of the panel a big rectangle which you can then use your panel as a template to cutout, OR send us or some other reliable shop either your old panel (or a tracing of your panel) to be scanned into a CAD file for you - we do that regularly here for any custom panels that don't have a factory CAD file to work from. It costs very little time or money to have it scanned on a good CNC.....

Also, the tip-ups and sliders are different as well (though not as different as the 7/9 versions are).

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I did compare my old panel to new panel before cutting.

GH

I did my 6A slider in a free 2d program, but it can export to an autocab file. As stein mentioned, no two are an exact match, but it may be a good starting point. Shoot me an email through the forum and I will rwply with the files.

Back