What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting regulated pitot control box

8 Builder

After looking at several posts regarding where builders have mounted their control box for the heated regulated pitot tube; I saw that a couple of you mounted it directly to the access panel next to the pitot tube mount. I am thinking of doing the same, due to lack of easy access to the rib mount position in a wing that is already closed up. Have any problems with the access panel location come up after choosing this way? Thanks, Rich.

Internal mounting solution

Before you give up completely on installing it where you really want it, I have a potential solution. The thought of having the controller dangling off the inspection panel every time you try to remove it would drive me mad, so I have taken some pictures seen below and written up a brief work instruction.
Because of the pressed indentation in the rib, you need to space the controller out on shims regardless. Cut some shims out of some 0.063 sheet, drill for a #6 nutplate and countersink the 3/32 rivet holes locations. Temporally shim and clamp the pitot heat controller in position and drill the #28 holes using a right angle drill attachment. Remove the pitot controller, then use your nutplate jig to drill the 3/32 hole locations to attach the shims and nut plates. Install the shims and #6 nut plates using some 3/32 countersunk blind rivets. I actually fay sealed mine first using some sikaflex pro and left shim and nut plate assembly clecoed in place for a day so that the clecos could be removed and weren't in the way when I riveted. Mount the controller using some #6 Allan head or torx screws.
Good luck.
Tom.

xqm6hf.jpg

16c2hb6.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Tom. That looks great. Access will be a bit tight with the wing closed and your attachment process sounds like it will make things easier.
Cheers, Rich.

Direct to inspection cover...

I mounted the module directly to the top side of the inspection cover. It was the simplest retrofit method, and has worked well so far. During inspection, after removing the inspection cover screws the cover is rotated 90 degrees and placed up inside the wing, so that it doesn't hang by the wires. Would choose this method again, even if starting from an open wing.
- Roger

Thanks Roger. This might be the way I go. It is way easier and if there are no problems with future inspections etc.; why not? Decisions, decisions.
Thanks to all, Rich

Back