What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder Joining the Ranks

dcurrier

Hello,

After lurking (as a paid member) on the forums here for about a year, I just upgraded myself to official builder. Just ordered my RV8 empennage kit from Vans yesterday. The kit should be shipping out on Tuesday they said... I assume it will arrive by next weekend. The shop (read: my garage) is all setup and in order and I'm currently working on the two practice kits. (I attended the EAA SportAir sheet metal workshop in Mesa, AZ last February). I am located in Maricopa, AZ - so if there are any builders nearby speak up! :) (I am a member of my local EAA Chapter and will be attending my first meeting today, actually)

Any sage advice to get started would be welcomed!

Last edited:
Enjoy

I'm at Stellar, just up the road. Wrapping up my second RV7. You are welcome to stop by.

There is another local building an 8, that might chime in. Lots of resources in this area. A small slice of RV heaven.

Enjoy

I'm at Stellar, just up the road. Wrapping up my second RV7. You are welcome to stop by.

There is another local building an 8, that might chime in. Lots of resources in this area. A small slice of RV heaven.

Good luck and always have fun!

I'm in the middle of an RV-8 slow build fuse and I do keep running out of clecos. Whatever Van's recommended number is - add maybe 100 3/32 and 50 1/8 clecos, more if you can find a good deal on them. I may be "over using" them, but I prefer to use lots when fitting the parts for match drilling. You have plenty of time to look for good deals - I did ok while working on the wings - since you only do one panel at a time.

Favorite tools: tungsten bucking bars - small ones are great, swivel head flush rivet set, dremel tool, good battery powered drill and extra battery, Scotch Brite wheels, .... can't have too many tools.

Hello,

After lurking (as a paid member) on the forums here for about a year, I just upgraded myself to official builder. Just ordered my RV8 empennage kit from Vans yesterday. The kit should be shipping out on Tuesday they said... I assume it will arrive by next weekend. The shop (read: my garage) is all setup and in order and I'm currently working on the two practice kits. (I attended the EAA SportAir sheet metal workshop in Mesa, AZ last February). I am located in Maricopa, AZ - so if there are any builders nearby speak up! :) (I am a member of my local EAA Chapter and will be attending my first meeting today, actually)

Any sage advice to get started would be welcomed!

I'm not to far away in Coolidge working on an -8. You're welcome to stop by anytime also.

Congratulations, I just saw this post or I would have "chimed" in earlier. I'm working on a 8 slow build up here in the Chandler area, be happy to help with any questions. Hopefully your kit has arrived by now or its going to feel like a long weekend! Enjoy the inventory- its time well spent....

Back