What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual to Electric aileron strip conversion

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Manual to Electric aileron trim conversion

Hello!

I know that there have been a few threads on whether or not to go manual or electric trim while building but I couldn't find a solid step by step process for turning my now manual trim RV-8 to an electric aileron trim setup. I searched but didn't come up with the process.

Is this a massive pain in the butt to do? Or relatively easy? Any step by step instructions around for this?

Thanks for the help!

Charles

Last edited:
Charles,
We just finished an RV-8 with electric aileron trim and it's a fairly simple and straightforward mod. I would start by getting the electric trim upgrade kit from Vans. Perhaps they will email you the setup instructions beforehand so you can see what is involved. I can tell you briefly that the kit goes under the floor under the pilot's seat and is basically a spring bias system where the trim motor moves a lever that puts more or less pressure on the springs connected to the control stick. Works well. I'll be glad to answer any other questions you might have.

Conversion

I bought manual and over the coarse of the build decided to go electric. Very simple. The manual assembly is drilled for servo mounting. Apparently the kit parts are for either setup. Ditch the cable and replace with Ray Allen servo. Installed a SPDT center return switch next to my manual pitch trim knob. Pictures tomorrow if you want.

Pics

Blain, thanks. Please I would like to see whatever photos you have and description of how to do it! You can email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

I bought manual and over the coarse of the build decided to go electric. Very simple. The manual assembly is drilled for servo mounting. Apparently the kit parts are for either setup. Ditch the cable and replace with Ray Allen servo. Installed a SPDT center return switch next to my manual pitch trim knob. Pictures tomorrow if you want.

Ditch the friction block and shorten the cross shaft. RayAllen servo fits exact.

Put toggle next to manual pitch trim knob.

Thanks for the pics Blain! Looks pretty straight forward from what I can tell. I asked Vans too and they said to buy their kit and that it replaces a lot of the parts. I'm wondering if this is juste a waste of money!? How does the center return switch work to return it to center automatically?

Thanks for the pics Blain! Looks pretty straight forward from what I can tell. I asked Vans too and they said to buy their kit and that it replaces a lot of the parts. I'm wondering if this is juste a waste of money!? How does the center return switch work to return it to center automatically?

No, it's just a momentary center off switch. If you have the manual trim kit you won't need anything else but the servo. I've seen them here in the classifieds too.

PM your email. I have the OP drawing in PDF.

Last edited:
Back