What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Rigging Tool

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I've searched and it appears that the W-730 aileron rigging jig is what you use on the -8... Is this true? As you can tell from my serial number, this part post dates my kit, so there's no reference that I can find in the instructions.

Did you get the info you needed?

Just noticed this...... I have a jig and would be glad to check....

Here's what I used, simply a piece of 1/8 x 1 1/4 cad bar with 3 - 1/4" bolts on c/l. Tooling holes were used on mine, but if your's is earlier you'd have to check with Vans... Bolt on aileron is simply a snug fit between the skins

After researching it some more, I decided to forget the jig, and work from the aileron up. I made the push rods (bell crank to aileron) according to the length in the plans, installed the aileron with the push rod attached to the bell crank. I will lock the aileron in trail with the wing using the tooling holes and then I'll simply adjust the bell crank to control stick push rods as necessary. Thanks for the responses!

Hi Mark, I would highly recommend using the bell crank positioning tool to hold the bell crank in position while adjusting the two pushrods while the straight edge lining up the aileron to the wing. That way everything is perfect when in neutral aileron position.

Larry

Back