What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Oil Cooler HE 8001599 install

jthocker

Well Known Member
ohZ.jpg
ohX.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

A couple of pics of a beefed up rear baffle installation for my new RV8.

This is an 8 row cooler from Pacific Oil Cooler Service. It's an Aero Classic HE series #8001599.

We are running this Cooler on our current RV8s and are very pleased with it.
We switched from the Stewart Warner 8406 (or 8604?) to the 1599 because we were seeing oil temps approaching 240 degrees during our air shows.

Now on a hot 95 degree day, running full throttle, 2900 rpms, for nearly 15 minutes, we might see 205 degrees. CHTs. 380 -400.
Superior IO-360, dual mags, 25 d btdc

I have the same cooler on my 7 and it still runs hot in the summer but its remote mounted with a 4 inch Scat tube. Problem is with the Sam James plenum has a small inlet to the tube.

Well let's see. 4 inch duct to Oil Cooler, area of a 4 inch circle , (pi x radius squared) 12.56 square inches of cooling area. Baffle mount, 4 in x 6 in hole in baffle, 24 square inches of cooling air!

The pics are to show the reinforcing of the aft baffle to allow mounting a good Oil Cooler there and getting 18 to 24 square inches of cooling air through the Cooler.

Jon,

Thanks for sharing the pics. My baffles need some attention in those areas surrounding the oil cooler.

Did you use a cross brace inside the baffles from the side to the back? If so, any pics?

Thanks

Charlie,

No cross brace. .125 angles on the side baffle along with an .063 plate on the back baffle.

ohP.jpg

I would move mine to the engine outlet if I could. There just isn't enough physical room. I am okay as long as I dont do a lot of slow flying on hot days. The plenum is an issue as well. IT keeps the cylinders even temp but is **** on oil temp.

Back