Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2018, 12:38 PM

Default Which replacement LED leading edge lights to buy?

My 2003 RV-9A has the original 55 watt incandescent lights in the Duckworks reflectors. To my aging eyes, they are like a couple of candles trying to pierce the darkness. I want to replace them with new LED lights. I'm considering the Flyleds combo taxi/landing lights - one in each wing. Each group has 3 landing lights at 1200 lumens each and one 1200 lumen led light that can be separately fed and adjusted to use as a taxi light. I'd run the 3 light clusters in each wing together (currently no wig-wag control available from Flyleds) thru the old landing light switch and the two adjustable taxi lights together thru the old taxi light switch. Paul at Flyleds says the individual lights draw about 1 amp each, so the total for the landing lights would be about 6 amps and the taxi lights about 2 amps. I'd have to run an extra wire from each wing for the taxi lights. They are kind of pricey, but put out a lot of light. Duckworks has an led replacement but it doesn't look like it would put out the same amount of light and it won't allow me to project taxi and landing light from each wing.

Has anyone already done this installation? Any advice?

I don't want to experiment with Chinese flashlights or other arcane solutions and would rather go with something made for my RV. The lumen output of the old 55 watt lamps is supposedly about 6-700 lumens so this setup would put a lot more light out for landing and taxiing.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:10 PM

I have assembled the FLYLEDS for my RV9A but not yet installed. I have bench tested them and they work pretty nicely.

Pricey? $599? For Landing lights, Taxi lights, Nav Lights, Strobes and WigWag? That comes with a controller?
No N# - RV9/A Kit in progress
Empennage complete. Wing Kit on hand
Old 09-26-2018, 02:56 PM

Have you looked at the baja designs lights? Alot of guys seem to like them and that was my plan.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:20 PM

I looked at the Baja Design lights with 3 or 4 lights. They seem good and sturdy but pretty pricey and require making a fixture to mount them in and then mounting them in the Duckworks aluminum part that spans between the wing ribs. They (I think) are all wired together as a unit and I want to use one focused as a taxi light in each wing with a wider spread and the others focused further out as landing lights. I don't want to redo my wingtip position and strobe lights at this time, just refit the current lights in my wing leading edges for better vision on landing at night. The 4 light Flyleds light seems to require less work to put them in our plane and suit the purpose. Anyone installed them yet?
Old 09-26-2018, 04:22 PM

Default LED

For what its worth, I put good ol Amazon / Ebay "cheapies" with the intent of swapping them out later but they actually really work good with no complaints, very bright and no interference though my headsets either
Old 09-26-2018, 04:58 PM

Before yoy open you wallet, replace the 55 watt bulbs with the 100 watt bulbs. They cost a couple of bucks each.

I have been using them for four or five years and they will light up the runway from 400 feet.

My goal is to hold off another couple of years as LED lights are still evolving.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-26-2018, 05:02 PM

I've got the squadron pro spots in my Duckworks. Not hard to do. Pull the bezel off the light, make a piece of sheetmetal with a cutout to match, and sandwich it behind the bezel. I put some nutplates on the DW mounts and put some springs behind the outboard corners of the new mount plate so I can gunsight them towards the middle. The spot lights have plenty enough spill over to light up the taxiway right in front of the airplane. Don't need wide angle lights. They're bright, they don't draw much. They are great for wig-waging for recognition. I never turn them off below 10Kft.

That said, you could throw some 100w or even 120w halogens in the Duckworks and you would see and been seen for a lot less money. Gotta make sure you've got big enough wiring for that.

I haven't seen the FlyLeds landing lights. Unless they have some sort of spot lenses like the BD lights, they won't really throw very far. Raw lumens doesn't necessarily translate into usable light down the runway. I'm a happy customer of their position/strobe lights.

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer2017 View Post
I looked at the Baja Design lights with 3 or 4 lights. They seem good and sturdy but pretty pricey and require making a fixture to mount them in and then mounting them in the Duckworks aluminum part that spans between the wing ribs. They (I think) are all wired together as a unit and I want to use one focused as a taxi light in each wing with a wider spread and the others focused further out as landing lights. I don't want to redo my wingtip position and strobe lights at this time, just refit the current lights in my wing leading edges for better vision on landing at night. The 4 light Flyleds light seems to require less work to put them in our plane and suit the purpose. Anyone installed them yet?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:17 PM

I have a LoPresti Boom Beam HID. It is very bright albeit not inexpensive.
48X
Old 09-26-2018, 08:16 PM

I replaced my halogen landing light with this back in 2017. Works great. Super bright.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-27-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer2017 View Post
I looked at the Baja Design lights with 3 or 4 lights... They (I think) are all wired together as a unit and I want to use one focused as a taxi light in each wing with a wider spread and the others focused further out as landing lights. Anyone installed them yet?
Just an FYI... the Baja Squadron lights are available with different lenses. They make a "combination" unit which has two clear lenses and two "spreader" lenses to cover each of the 4 LEDs. This gives both good distance penetration and good spread for taxi.

I have a pair of the Squadron Pro's in my aircraft, mounted out in the wingtips. Short of airliners I've never had as much light available for both landing and taxi. Mine are the really tight spot beams. I've been giving consideration to installing the combination lens on at least one of them to get some light closer to the nose of the airplane for taxi purposes, but have opted instead to put in some inexpensive small flood lights in the cowl which are controlled by their own independent switch.

By the way, I wig-wag the Squadron Pros using the wig-wag module from Perihelion Designs. When flying the FISK arrival at Oshkosh this summer the controller at FISK indicated he could easily see us from about 8 miles back. As he said... "Love those LEDs!"