What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECHO UAT, how do I get weather?

rvator4twa

Well Known Member
Patron
Just installed uAvionics UAT Echo with my GRT EX and secondary SX, thanks to Jeff at GRT. Will fly tomorrow to see it in action, but how do you pull up weather and storms? Can it only be done on your IPad and ForeFlight? If so, do you put PING on your iPad?

On the iPad, go to Settings, WIFI, and pick the PINGxxx network.
Once that is done, it is the same as being connected to a Stratus. You have to be flying typically to be in range of ADSB antennas, but once you are, the weather will show up.
In addition, you will get traffic!
Be sure to go to the settings on the ForeFlight map to configure stuff.

If you connected it to your EFIS, the weather and traffic will show up on the map there as well...

Going from memory here, but you can pick up metars on the EFIS by going to the map page, pushing the knob and then rotating til it highlights the airport of interest and pushing again to select it. Follow the menu-you will find it

For radar overlays, go the map page and look for it on the menu. Piece of cake.

Erich

Just installed uAvionics UAT Echo with my GRT EX and secondary SX, thanks to Jeff at GRT. Will fly tomorrow to see it in action, but how do you pull up weather and storms? Can it only be done on your IPad and ForeFlight? If so, do you put PING on your iPad?

You can't display ADS-B weather on the EX or SX?

Ads-b Weather most certainly can be displayed on the SX and EX. I do it and never bother with doing it on the iPad. No need when it?s on the EFIS.

Erich

How do you have the unit wired to your EFIS, and are you using the gps/serial port combiner as well? The abds-b weather input will be on it's own serial port I believe, so you will need to make sure it is set up properly.

I am running the echouat with my sport SX with no issues. Weather/traffic on both EFIS and iPad.

Chris

Go to the GRT website and download the ADS-B User Supplement. It will explain how to show radar, metars, tafs, etc. You can not view terrain and radar simultaneously due to similarity of the two imageries. I'm flying with an Echo UAT and a GRT Sport SX. I'm very pleased with the capabilities and have picked up ADS-B towers while over the wilderness of N. Idaho.

Back