What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To Central Australia

Finley Atherton

Well Known Member
Recently flew to Alice Springs in central Australia for a demanding six day walk on the spectacular Larapinta Track. Unfortunately I accidentally deleted my photos of the Larapinta Track but here are a few photos of the flight to Alice Springs (YBAS).
Distance from home (Pinora) is about 1,025nm. I stayed at Thargomindah(YTGM) overnight on the way to Alice but did the return trip in one day. I fuelled and streched my legs at YTGM both ways.

Wanted to go IFR but there is no VHF reception between WILLS and STEEL and poor reception between YTGM and BAZZA so mostly flew VFR. I would need HF to fly those sections IFR. Also there is no radar after about 35 minutes from home, ADSB is patchy and mobile phone reception is non existent over long sections. I did have Spidertracks satellite tracking activated for most of the flight.

2ia9bw0.png

MT Kapatur National Park about 80nm from home. The next significant hills/mountains on my track are about 900nm away.
o7rabm.jpg

Birdsville (BDV) township and runway in about the centre of the photo. During one weekend In September each year the Birdsville Races swell the town's population from 100 to about 7,000 with hundreds of aircraft attending. Money raised goes to the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia.
28a7uwm.jpg

ztsp54.jpg

The next two photos are sand dunes in the Simpson Desert between BVD and STEEL from about 8,000ft AGL. Wikipedia tells me it is the worlds largest sand dune desert with the dunes held static by vegetation and the height of the dunes between 3 to 40 metres.
9to9it.jpg

2nqfgux.jpg

Edge of the Simpson Desert approaching Alice Springs
n53mvs.jpg

Alice Springs airport. It may not look much but it is a substantial airport with many jets bringing tourists to the Centre of Australia. You may just make out the top secret American Pine Gap facility - the short white line just below the horizon in the centre of the photo.
2u60b9k.jpg

Fin
9A

Back