What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 796 panel cutout

DLussier

I would like to install my Garmin 796 in my panel without using the Airgizmo panel dock.
Anybody has a full size drawing of the cutout that they would like to share?::rolleyes:
Thanks

I am planning to modify the previous hole for a Lowrance Airmap 2000 in place without removing the panel.
Thanks Amir, I don't have the space to install an Airgizmo dock and their drawing is not to scale and not precise enough for me....I can always try to enlarge it...

I am planning to modify the previous hole for a Lowrance Airmap 2000 in place without removing the panel.
Thanks Amir, I don't have the space to install an Airgizmo dock and their drawing is not to scale and not precise enough for me....I can always try to enlarge it...
That's a coincidence, Denis. Just last month I replaced my Lowrance 2000c with the 696 since I could no longer get database updates. However, even without the airgizmo mount, I did not have enough vertical room to inset the 696. I envy you apparently having enough. I ended up just surface mounting it. It sticks out a bit more than I would have liked (about 1/2" more than the 2000c) but it's not too bad. I got used to it very quick and can wait until a major panel redo in order to inset it. I also did all the minor cut-outs and mounting with the panel in place. Pretty easy. Good luck with yours.

I would like to install my Garmin 796 in my panel without using the Airgizmo panel dock.
Anybody has a full size drawing of the cutout that they would like to share?::rolleyes:
Thanks

I have completely replaced my panel but I had a 795 (same dimensions as the 796) installed in my old panel without the Airgizmo panel dock. At the time I installed it with the panel in place on the aircraft. Lots of trial, error and some filler however I got it pretty good in the end. It was recessed in the panel so only the black part of the side of the unit was visible. (none of the chrome part visible)

It was secured by the Garmin dock/clamp as shown in the photo with that structure attached to the top and bottom flanges of the instrument panel (tip up canopy).

I could easily use the cutout in the old panel to draw a template which I could email and if I add the exact horizontal and vertical dimensions you could adjust it to allow for size changes that might happen when sent as an email attachment. Let me know if I can help.
Anyone interested in a used 795 with an Australian data base which could presumably be changed to the USA??

Fin 9A

2h4hsno.jpg
[/IMG]

2hqe5ow.jpg
[/IMG]

Thank you Fin, I would really appreciate it if you could do that.This is the way I was planning to install my 796 as I have seen other do. I will send you my personal email.

Back