VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-15-2018, 05:41 PM

Default +1 on Boydís comments

I had a flare that wasnít quite perfect and it gave me the condition Boyd mentions, wouldnít leak fuel, but would pull air. It was at the tank to selector connection. It caused the pump to pull air and not make pressure. This was discovered before first flight, so I canít tell you f pressure would have been lost n flight as a result. I found it with my brake bleeding vac pump - carefully.
RV-8 tail kit received with a 5 year plan
2011-2018 VAF contributor
Dog is my copilot, rest in peace 2015APR28. I miss that dog.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:38 AM

+1 on the vacuum pump. If you are looking for an air leak in plumbing that is normally under negative pressure, itís best to use vacuum to find it. Itís funny (read frustrating) how some joints will leak under vacuum but seal just fine under pressure. Iíve had it happen with O-ring joints several times, and a few times with flair joints.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:09 PM

Default All seems good

2 successful flights today testing the results of my fuel pressure investigation. I immediately found that the screen on my right side vent was pretty much blocked completely with the epoxy that I'd used to attach it. I had used a faucet aerator and it's a very fine mesh. I couldn't penetrate the face with a piece of 0.025 safety wire. I was reasonably confident that this was the source of my issue, but I went ahead and inspected other parts of the system. I drained the tank and had as much of a look as I could with my endoscope - couldn't see the actual pickup end. I had no debris come out when I drained it and I had no sign of anything that wasn't completely clean in what I saw of the inside of the tank. I pulled off the wing root fairing and slacked off the nut on the fuel line fitting. A fingernail test around the perimeter of the flare didn't reveal any anomalies and the seal appeared quite solid. I also pulled off the bottom of my Andair gasolator and found nothing deposited in the filter. I reassembled and used a cable tie to hold a bubble of window screen over the vent - I hope it stays in place.

I did have to reprime the system before I could get the engine started - that was simple enough, I just ran the boost pump to get good flow from both tanks and let it spill over. Started up just fine the next (this) morning. Managed 3 hours of air time today over 2 flights and the only thing I observed was expected roughness when my mixture wasn't right.

I still have a lot to learn about my plane and I'm just now getting to some of the meatier subjects like mixture and performance numbers. I'm having a blast and the plane is behaving quite well. I'm looking forward to a few extra knots once I get my gear fairings on, I'm not all that close to the book speeds but it's still faster than the Cessnas that I need to content with in the local circuit (pattern).
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018