What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mode S transponder prices...

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm considering a Garmin 330 transponder upgrade for my GNS 430 equipped plane (for Mode S traffic). At this point it is just an idle musing, so I'm curious:

If you've purchased one of these beasts - Approximately how much did you pay for your 330?

I'm almost afraid to ask. :eek:

I got this quote from Stark not too long ago:

Gtx-330 $3170 + $120 pre-wire. Add $25 shipping.

Thanks

Yeah - John rocks, I got my 430 from him some time ago. I'm only kinda thinking about the mode S thing right now - probably going to wait a few months.

Thanks for the information...

AD on the 330

I just received an AD on the 330 series transponder. It seems that there is a software upgrade that is needed. If you purchase a Garmin 330 make sure that what you buy has the AD "complied with." Text of the AD follows:
2005-01-19 ? GARMIN International Inc. GTX 33, GTX 33D, GTX 330, and GTX 330D Mode S Transponders
The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) to supersede Airworthiness Directive 2004-10-15, which applies to certain GTX 330 and GTX 330D Mode S transponders that are installed on airplanes. AD 2004-10-15 currently requires you to install GTX 330/330D Software Upgrade Version 3.03, 3.04, or 3.05. This AD applies to certain GTX 33, GTX 33D, GTX 330, and GTX 330D Mode S transponders that are installed on airplanes and is the result of observations that the GTX 33/33D/330/330D may detect, from other airplanes, the S1 (suppression) interrogating pulse below the minimum trigger level (MTL) and, in some circumstances, not reply. The GTX 33/33D/330/330D should still reply even if it detects S1 interrogating pulses below the MTL. Consequently, this AD would require you to install a GTX 33/33D/330/ 330D Software Upgrade to at least Version 3.06. No additional action is necessary for those airplanes that have transponders Software Upgrade 3.03 installed. Software Upgrade Versions 3.03 and 3.06 correct a TAS, TCAD, and TCAS I system "whisper-shout" problem that could potentially lead to the aircraft not being visible at certain ranges. TCAS II systems are not affected. We are issuing this AD to prevent interrogating aircraft from possibly receiving inaccurate replies due to suppression from aircraft equipped with the GTX 33/33D/330/330D Mode S transponders when the pulses are below the MTL. The inaccurate replies could result in reduced vertical separation

RV Friendly Avionics Shop

Try contacting Bill Pippen at 866.997.8205, he's located at Fredericksburg, TX
He flies an RV and I've only heard good things about him in our area.

Back