What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390

rvator10

Well Known Member
Patron
FYI, my new Lycoming IO-390 is now shipping as promised (2 month delay).
March 1 it was being boxed and waiting for the carrier to pick it up.
:)

Exciting!

This was one of those steps I expected to be a big ordeal but it took us about 45 minutes to mount it.

However, the firewall forward build took about 6 weeks :D

o1c.jpg

Congrats!

It really starts to get real after this! I was on a very steep learning curve but enjoyed it immensely!

Lucky, my engine has been delayed again. I am now looking at a May timeframe. This was originally ordered via the Oshkosh special last year. I would fully expect any new IO-390 orders to take close to a year. I would not expect the 5 mo wait times people have been getting quoted.

-Jason

I have one, if anyone is interested.

If anyone is interested. I can put you in to my build position at LyCon for a Lycoming IO-390.

My engine was planned to start with a Lycoming Build Kit of all new Lycoming parts for an experimental IO-390. The engine was planned around my need for mounting the engine, which I had estimated to be October. It was planned to be built by August, placed on the shelf, and wait until I was ready to mount before running in the test stand. What that means, is that it could be ready as early as August. The caveat to that being this is being built by one busy engine builder, and I think you would need to be somewhat flexible. I live a mile from LyCon and have a friendly relationship with the owner and his brother.

I had planned numerous features that LyCon offers to be built in to the engine. It is still at a state where it could be built to factory specs, or have LyCon do all of, or some of the features they offer in a custom build.

The way I was building it. . . it was estimated to be somewhere around 235-240hp:D

But HP costs money. . . you don't need that much. Obviously. I just wanted it!

Give me a shout. PM me and I can make contact via phone or email.

Delayed Again!

Lucky, my engine has been delayed again. I am now looking at a May timeframe. This was originally ordered via the Oshkosh special last year. I would fully expect any new IO-390 orders to take close to a year. I would not expect the 5 mo wait times people have been getting quoted.

-Jason

My IO-390 has also been delayed ?. again! Original estimated ship date was mid-December, 2018, then late January. Now I have just been advised that the engine may ship in early to mid-May. Citing "parts supply problems.":mad:

Joe Reaves
Longview, Texas

RV-14A - Fuselage 75% complete, Wings ? QB - probably 90%
Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying
Dues paid for 2019

Just for the sake of clarity, am I correct in assuming (dangerous!) that all these delayed IO-390s are Thunderbolt engines?

My standard, Van's-sourced IO-390 has been on schedule from the day I ordered it and is currently tracking a mid-May delivery. I'm going to be seriously put out if that slips much...

Just for the sake of clarity, am I correct in assuming (dangerous!) that all these delayed IO-390s are Thunderbolt engines?

My standard, Van's-sourced IO-390 has been on schedule from the day I ordered it and is currently tracking a mid-May delivery. I'm going to be seriously put out if that slips much...

Standard Van's IO390, I'm having the same delays as Joe.

IO 390 Delay

Mine has been on schedule too ? Lycoming's schedule! Mine is a standard IO-390 and NOT a Thunderbolt engine. :mad:

Joe R

Longview, TX

As upset that I was for the 2.5 month delay (fortunate after reading some of your stories) I was able to keep busy building forward and wrapping up dozens of items that needed to be addressed.
I admit it was getting harder and harder to fill the time with productive building. I hope Lycoming quality control was not jeopardized scrabbling for parts to make shipments.:eek:

Back