Home > VansAirForceForums

- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2018, 01:07 PM

$1300 seems like for one plane but I am sure that it reflects how few inspections there are in our country each year. Considering the level of service we get I believe it to be a bargain. Staff and office expense have to be paid by the users, the builders.
Tom Martin RV1 pilot 4.6hours!
CPL & IFR rated
EVO F1 Rocket 1000 hours,
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM

Very well said and exactly as I was secretly told also. Why the deception? If the office fees were more reasonable or explained as wages to the inspectors (I do not expect anyone to do a service for me for free) then I would accept this much easier. I work with Transport Canada on a weekly basis and they know how to bill very well. If those doing their work (in TC) were as good at what they do as the guys implementing the fee structure, what a service we would have.
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
To be clear... MD-RA openly tells us that inspectors work on a volunteer basis. In the background the reality is they work for a fixed per-inspection fee which is built into the total inspection fee. Also of importance is the concept that the "head office" guys who do the final review on inspection data packages sent in by the field inspectors are also on a fixed-fee basis (a.k.a. piecework). I discovered this information through conversations with retired inspectors who no longer have a stake in the game.

This information is not widely known and is considered by the MD-RA to be sensitive. I share it here because, frankly, I can't understand why there is any need to hide the fact that our inspectors do not work for free (and I fundamentally disagree with this dishonest policy). Having some insight into the fee schedule, I can say they don't work for free, but they sure don't work for much more than minimum wage (and usually much less) if they're really doing what they're supposed to do with the inspections and paperwork.

I have the utmost respect for our MD-RA inspectors. In the case of the MD-RA inspections performed on our aircraft, both of the inspectors added real value to the process - it wasn't just a rubber stamp. As a result of having gone through pre-cover and final inspections I wouldn't hesitate to fork over the fees currently charged. I would, however, like to get better value from the fees paid to the head office management. They are on piece work and yet seem to feel no incentive to move paperwork along in a timely fashion.

Be aware, also, that Transport Canada is reviewing ALL current aviation fees (for everything from aircraft registration to pilot medical processing to who-knows-what) and is planning on adding new fees for services we now obtain without additional cost.

If one thinks having one's airplane inspected by Transport Canada would be cheaper than having it done by an MD-RA, well, I suspect one might be in for a bit of a surprise.
Thanks Ron
RV-14 Flying