What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan Engines R Series Testing Update

Relentless

Well Known Member
I have been so busy I haven't been very good about updating y'all on our progress testing our new R Series Engines. This past week we completed a thorough timing test sequence to determine the best timing for the AX50 cylinders on one of our R409 Titan engines. As we estimated the best timing for peak power was 18-19 degrees. This confirms that the better combustion chamber and piston design will deliver superior efficiency and will be less prone to detonation with lower octane fuels.

2ym8so1.jpg

Next week we will install EFii Electronic Fuel Injection and Ignition System on this engine. We tested this system for a customer recently on his Titan XIO360 with impressive results....;)

Stay tuned.....

Next week we will install EFii Electronic Fuel Injection and Ignition System on this engine. We tested this system for a customer recently on his Titan XIO360 with impressive results....;)

Stay tuned.....

I'll bet you're gonna like Robert's EFII system on this engine too!

I have his ign. System on my IO-360-A3B6D. Love it!

melted

at first glance it lookied like you left the cylinders out in the sun a little too long:)

In automotive that cylinder material cut bore wear by 10X. I am excited to see a genuine intelligent, modern designed mono-cylinder/head with known modern materials, the first with real promise in 40 years. Modern port and valve designs can improve heat release and thus efficiency. All resulting in more HP peak and especially in cruise (aka torque).

The results of your testing to put current designs to shame is eagerly awaited!! We want it all - bore wear, cylinder wall temperatures, BSFC, thermal cycles - -like waiting for Christmas morning as a kid.

Keep it coming!!

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, we are really hummin' now....

Thanks Bill,

I really wish I had more time to share what we are doing but it is so important to us to get through testing in time for Oshkosh. We just finished our test with EFii electronic ignition and fuel system, wow! Putting all these new technologies together is really fun and like you said, ITS ABOUT TIME!!!:D

at first glance it lookied like you left the cylinders out in the sun a little too long:)

These poor cylinders have endured my getto dyno in SLO, 50 hours on the long EZ at full power, back on Titan Dyno for many hours on 360, then just finished a full series on a R409 to map timing and cylinder pressure test (picture you see). Next week they get a new set of final production pistons and back on the dyno with EFii fuel and ignition system to see how much over 230hp we can get...... I guess they have been through allot :(

Did i say I was Relentless? :D

What probes are you using for the cylinder pressure testing (plug or drilling and tapping into the heads? And data acquisition and at what frequency of sample?

Sounds like you are having way too much fun.

new engine development

I really enjoyed when Kevin was posting about his work I also think there is lots to be learned from the good questions on both parties side.Maybe Kevin sold he's RV and just not an RV guy anymore.
Bob:

Heard he left Titan/ECi. Bart left before that. Maybe Paul will fill us in if the politics allow....:rolleyes:
While overhauling my engine wasn't at all impressed with the ECi organization. Had hoped them to be the go-to group for everything but found they are now a fractured outfit where parts and machine shop and engines and other things are all separate and don't communicate. Found one older and very experienced fellow there that gave me some good advice but all else was not encouraging.... Even Kevin couldn't help. Sorry to see him gone and wish him the very best.

Last edited:
Kevin works by ACE now

This is what I found on Kevin's status!
I'm sure we will have some update soon....:D

ACE Now Selling Direct
After a year working with Titan Aircraft Engines, a division of Danbury and ECi, we have decided to offer our R Series engines directly to the experimental aviation market. Titan has decided to focus on ASTM versions of our engines for some of their OEM manufactures. We are presently setting up our own engine shop in San Luis Obispo, CA to provide overhaul/upgrades to our engines. This independence gives us better access to multiple manufactures and more options for our customers. Visit our updated website and contact me dirty ectly to discuss your options. http://ace-performance.com

After a year working with Titan Aircraft Engines, a division of Danbury and ECi, we have decided to offer our R Series engines directly to the experimental aviation market. Titan has decided to focus on ASTM versions of our engines for some of their OEM manufactures.

Or as a Titan spokesman at the show said, "We've stopped selling them until ASTM testing is completed"...which will be sometime after completion of ASTM testing of the new 540 6-cylinder kit engine, and the new 4 cyl crank with pendulum absorbers.

saga

With the sale to Continental out its starting to make sense why everyone departed with out saying by.

Back