What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Prop Advice

I've been researching the Hartzell prop and Lycoming IO-360 angle valve, I've used the FAA TCDS P-920 rev37 as well as VAF for guidance. I have almost zero experience on this subject.
Here is the combo for my -7:
IO-360-C1C6 and HC-C2YK-1BF F7666A
I don't know what the "A" is for but the prop is the full 76", too long for the RV-7... a separate issue in itself as I need to either cut it down or sell it.

The P-920 does not give my exact configuration but I can infer that this is a situation of avoiding continuous operation between 2000 and 2350 RPM (I believe that is correct). Is this a harmonics issue and I can run at higher or lower than the range?

Any advice is appreciated i.e., is it worth trimming, has anyone else run into this scenario?

Thanks,

A prop shop can give you the options. I recommend calling the local shop and finding out what they an do for you.

Yes, call a prop shop (as mentioned above), but before that, talk to Vans to see if they think it's actually too much diameter for your airframe, & even call Hartzell for their thoughts of cutting down that blade.

From referring to
http://hartzellprop.com/wp-content/uploads/159-0000-R62-WA.pdf
I understand the
7666A blade is the 76" version
7666A-2 the 72" version
7666A-4 the 74" version

If the solution is to sell your prop, the model currently sold by Vans is supposedly slightly lighter, some claim a bit quieter, & a bit faster than the older 7666 profile.

Thanks Ralph, I called the closest shop and it will take more than just cutting it down, they also said they have to reseal due to the time it has been in storage (before cutting). Yes, I spoke to Van's months ago about this and was told it is possible to mount a 76" prop but my concern is ground clearance. That said, 1 inch or so of less clearance? There is one more area I need to study, the FAR 23.

Back