What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

c/s prop and governer question

redhawk

Well Known Member
I just purchased a beautiful RV8 - moving up from a 4 !
I want to convert it to a C/S prop and am looking at the Vans Hartzell Blended airfoil 72" 2 blade.
Does anyone have input on the type of governer to consider: MT vs. Hartzell?
Any advice on the conversion process?
Thanks!

Governor

I had the MT.

I now have a McCauley.

Find a yellow tagged light weight Woodward, McCauley PCu5000 or Hartzell and I think you'll be happy.

You might also consider the Whirlwind 200RV prop. Do some research and I think that you'll find that the Whirlwind is 'thee' prop of choice when comparing Hartzell/MT/Whirlwind on an RV6/7/8.

http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/props/rvseries.asp

In addition, you'll find that most Whirlwind dealers can offer you substantial savings.....this comes in handy when you compare prices between 'the big 3'. I know I offer most of my Whirlwind dealer discount to the customer.....anyway you might shop around. Not sure what Hartzell and MT do in this area......maybe someone who made a purchase can offer some info?

Good Luck....you'll love your C/S!

I want to convert it to a C/S prop and am looking at the Vans Hartzell Blended airfoil 72" 2 blade.
Thanks!

Do some research and I think that you'll find that the Whirlwind is 'thee' prop of choice when comparing Hartzell/MT/Whirlwind on an RV6/7/8....

Based upon what requirement? If there is a C/S prop faster than the Hartzell BA, I'd like to know.

Check Larry Vetterman's Site

Larry has a good comparison of the Hartzell BA and the 200RV. There is no TO or low speed thrust data that I could find on the 200RV and I searched extensively and visited both factories. There are some operating limitations to the 200RV, but not the BA. There are other differences, so knowing what you want is a good start. Happy shopping.

http://www.vettermanexhaust.com/

Thanks everyone

It's a decision for sure between the whirlwind and Hartzel blended. I'm wondering if the nose heaviness of the hartzell could be minimized by simply locating my battery in the aft fuselage or is there a good reason for not doing this?

If anyone out there is going to be needing a Sensinich F/P prop with spinner, etc. (like new less than 200 hours) let me know!

Whirl Wind, MT gov, battery in back.

The Whirl Wind 200RV does not really have any operating limitations like the Hartzell. They say "recommend" in the manual, but if you ask the factory, it is not a restriction. I have the IO-360-A1A, which has a fairly inconvenient limitation on the Hartzell BA(no continuous between 2350-2500 above 24")

I run 2400,24" on my 200RV a lot. No issues.

I have the MT governer, nothing at all wrong with it.

I would definitely recommend moving the battery to the back.

Thanks!

I'm gathering info on the prop pro & cons. Can I ask why you are changing your prop? I assume living in Boulder and improved takeoff performance has a lot to do with it, but I wanted to ask anyhow.

Thanks,
Rob

Back