What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who in Texas flying to Oshkosh?

Mike D

Well Known Member
Last year on my way to OSH, I met up with a group of great RV guys out of north Texas also flying to OSH. This made the trip much more enjoyable, and I learned a lot.

So, maybe we can get a group of RV folks together and make the trip in very lose formation. More of a gaggle than actual formation. :)

Just as full disclosure, I hope to fly there but the family may force the commercial route. But of all years, this sure would be the year to bring the RV.

Well we're currently planning on taking two airplanes up there (from Houston). Not sure when we'll be leaving (have to be there early though) or if we'll head to Minnesota first (we sometimes do that). Too far in the future for those details!

Paul

Trying

If we can finish up on schedule my building partner and will be making our first trip. Our plan is to fly up Monday the 23rd and return Thursday the 26th.

Last edited:
A couple of us usually depart from 52F (DFW area) Sunday morning, wife and I stay all week in HBC, camping is the only way to really experience Oshkosh in it's true form :D

I intend to leave Wichita Falls on Sunday morning, and try for a repeat of the last two years' trips with first expected fuel stop in Neosho, MO (KEOS) and second fuel stop/lunch stop in Washington, IA (KAWG) if the thunderstorms don't drive away before we can take the crew car into town for lunch.

Michael, are you the RV'er from Houston who joined up with us at KEOS? (Neal in the -8, JJ in the -4 fastback and Jimmy in the 200hp -6A... with Dave in the Super-8 Fastback joining up at KAWG)

Last edited:
I'm planning on leaving Sunday morning from KTRL and heading that way. The daughter and I are going to be there for 3-4 days. I have secured a place to stay but have not planned the fuel stops yet.

Hi Neal! Yep, that was me. You guys made it a great trip. I still remember those towers of rain and the lightning. Just wish I was a little faster to keep up with you guys.:)

If I get to fly the RV, I plan on leaving in time to see the mass arrivals. Either way I will be there. I will stay in Camp Scholler as always.

I'm going!

Okay, not as planed. But I will head up on Friday (+/- a day)
Won't be bringing the family this time.
I have to fly to Asia on Sunday, so I will be coming back early.

If anyone wants to fly up a little early, it would be great to meet up.

Anyone have recommendations on good stops on the way?

I'm planning on flying up Sunday the 22nd in my new RV-6 this year. I think JJ might be coming too (from the south metroplex area). My favorite fuel stops are still KEOS and KAWG. Back when I flew my Cherokee up there, I used to stop at K81 just south of Kansas City and have breakfast at the BBQ restaurant on the field there, but haven't been there in 3 years now. It's a slight bit west of the direct path from Wichita Falls.

K81

We Be Smokin BBQ is still open for business at K81 and the BBQ is still good. I work nearby and get over there from time to time for lunch.

Mike, check your PMs

We intend to fly up on Friday. While neither of us like travelling in groups, we would be glad to add you to our flight.

doing it in small bites...

leaving in mostly-unpainted RV9 from just east of san antonio on pm of friday 20 july to KHSD just outside OKC. visiting family there overnite, then on to KLXT just outside kansas city on saturday 21 july to RON/visit some more there. departing KLXT sunday to arrive KOSH HBC sunday pm, hopefully AFTER the field of yellow mostly fills up with cubbies: wouldn't mind flying that last leg from KLXT to KOSH with another RVer(s) if the timing works out.

departing KLXT sunday to arrive KOSH HBC sunday pm, hopefully AFTER the field of yellow mostly fills up with cubbies: wouldn't mind flying that last leg from KLXT to KOSH with another RVer(s) if the timing works out.

I'll be timing my departure to probably arrive at KOSH in the early afternoon, hopefully right after the last of the 40-ship RV mass arrival is done. I'm still not sure if I'm going to fly F14-KEOS-KAWG-KOSH or F14-K81-KAWG-KOSH, but will be making two fuel & rest stops, with KAWG as the last one before Wisconsin.

I'll either be on 122.75 or 123.45 the whole trip. My tail number is N642TX.

Maybe we could meet up around KAWG (Washington, IA) and fly the last leg together. Another VAF'er, JetJ01, may be flying his fastback RV-4 and meet up with me along the way. Last year we ended up with a 4 and 5 ship gaggle for quite a bit of the way, and when we got to about Dubuque, decided to turn towards the Mississippi river and fly up the river to the junction of the Wisconsin river and then fly up that river valley together. It was very scenic and fun flying.

Back