What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Cleaning / Haze

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I finally removed the final plastic off the canopy. I had taped it up, and there was a lot of tape residue left behind.

1) What is the preferred method for removing the residue? I've heard Naptha? I started using Naptha, and it almost seems like there are very faint scratches wherever I rubbed? I'm either paranoid (very possible) or I'm wondering if the bits of tape residue contributed to actually slightly scratching?
2) I did try spraying some plexiglass cleaner (Plexall....like Plexus) to generally clean up the rest of the canopy. It appears that there is a haze or slight fog that does not seem to go way not matter how hard I polish. Is there a trick for getting it clear?

I feel like the whole thing is getting worse the more time I spend on it. Curious what others "recipe" is for a clear, scratch free canopy (like when I took the plastic off :)).

Thanks,
Scott
7A

jayhawk

When I started working on getting off the haze, I found that the rag I was using caused very fine scratches. Since then, I purchased 100% cotton T-shirts and use only them for cleaning the plexiglass.

The haze from the protective coating came off with the first application of Plexus. I used naptha for the glue and residue cleanup from masking tape.

Hi Scott,

Just helped a builder last week with this issue, tape had been on for two years and it was a mess. Picked up a product from a plexi dealer call orange peal... it was MAGIC! Finished the job in less than 1 hour. :) Then a light buff with mirror glaze polish and your done.

I just did this over the weekend. The packing tape that I used on the canopy made quite a mess.

I got some of those blue Shop Towels (http://www.trailjournals.com/images/gear/tjgear_2832_012805_12498.jpg) and soaked one with Naptha. Then I dabbed it on the tape residue and let it sit for a little bit before I started to work it. The adhesive came up in little balls. I then took a dry Shop Towel in one hand and a damp one (dampened with Naptha) in the other and did the wax on, wax off thing until I got it off. I followed up with some warm water to take any residue off followed by Plexus. The Plexus cleaned up any haze that remained. I didn't see any scratches but maybe I didn't look close enough. It seems fine though.

Dawn dishwashing liquid

Read this in its entirety:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Acrylic_Canopy_and_Lexan_Window_Hints.pdf

Cleaning And Use Of Liquids
For general cleaning use Dawn dishwashing liquid or equivalent and water followed by a clear
water rinse. To prevent water spots, blow dry with compressed air or wipe dry with soft cotton
flannel. Plexus, Sprayaway #848 Industrial Plastic Cleaner, or All Clear can also be used for day
to day cleaning. Grease, oil, tape residue, etc. may best be removed with Mineral spirits, refined
kerosene, white gasoline, naphtha, or isopropyl alcohol. Wash approved solvents off of canopy
with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. It is best to avoid using products that are not specifically
formulated for acrylics on your canopy such as Rain-X or Lemon Pledge.

CAUTION: DO NOT use Loctite, aromatic solvents, acetone, benzene, ethyl acetate, carbon
tetrachloride, lighter fluid, lacquer thinners, gasoline, toluene, window sprays, concentrated
alcohols, keytones, scouring compounds, ammonia, or 409 cleaner on or around acrylic or Lexan
canopy materials.

CAUTION: DO NOT allow electrical tape or auto fuel to come into contact with Lexan as it will
also cause crazing. This is a particular issue to beware of when refueling the RV-12.

Link to earlier thread

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1397&highlight=clean+plexiglass[/URL]

Back