What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

installing constant speed for first time

C-GRVT

Well Known Member
About to install a new Hartzell constant speed on a new engine. I don't expect first run to be for another year.
Is it considered good practice to coat the hollow cavity in the nose of the crank with oil or grease, or spray the inside with WD-40? Thinking of corrosion.
Also, should the o-ring in the prop hub be lubricated with oil or vaseline (petroleum jelly)?
The Hartzell manual says to clean the propeller flange and the engine flange, but makes no mention of any other preparation.
Thanks,
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV6A finishing kit

Bill

Not saying that what I did was right but here it goes. I live in Texas and my shop is insulated so I wasn't too concerned about corrosion. Before mounting the prop, I lubed the "O" ring with regular engine oil. I also used the same oil to lube the surface that it was going to mate with. I didn't want any chance of the seal tearing due to being dry.

I wouldn't use WD-40. I quite using that stuff after finding corrosion of a couple of my firearms that had been sprayed with it.

Hope this helps.

PLEASE!

I wouldn't use WD-40. I quite using that stuff after finding corrosion of a couple of my firearms that had been sprayed with it.

Don't use WD-40! WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a "Water Dispersant".

Last edited:
Back