What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirl Wind Prop?

no7rosman

I see everyone talking about the 200RV in a different thread.

Everyone likes it pretty well?

I have a 9A with 0-360 currently running a fixed pitch prop. Thinking about upgrading.

Is this what everyone is running?
https://www.whirlwindaviation.com/props/rvseries.asp

Also - can anyone talk to the work involved for converting from FP to CS? I have the right crank for CS.

Thanks,
Ross

Last edited:
The first question is, can your engine accept a CS prop?

There are many treads about converting to CS props, try the advanced search function.

You are spot on looking at composite props for an O-360 powered -9(A).

I hope to convert mine sometime this year, although I'm not so sure it is an "upgrade".

I went through this conversion last year and while everything works as it should, looking back at how much it all cost, I'm not sure I'd do it again. I do get great takeoff performance and it's nice to not have to worry about RPM restrictions on the way down. Formation work (what little I do) is a little easier, and it's nice to be able to slow the plane down faster by flattening the blades. Climb to altitude is definitely faster and if you fly out of a hot area of the country, getting up to altitude faster might be a real selling point.

I'd consider it optional. Most of the time in a -9, I expect you'd spend in straight and level flying and if you have a properly pitched FP prop, you'll get as much speed as you would with a CS prop.

Others will have different opinions. When it was all said and done, I estimate I spent between $12K-13K to do the conversion by the time you buy all of the expensive miscellaneous pieces and parts, including the prop (Whirlwind 200RV) of course.

Thanks for the input. I am at 5k ft MSL and mostly looking for the take-off performance. I have heard the prop won't help the cruise much.

Maybe you should talk to Craig Catto and see what he can for you. I'm sure it won't be as good as a CS prop but better than most FP props.

I have learned to do a Vx climb until clear of the trees the set the AP to a 500 FPM climb and be on my way at well over 135 knots, probably more like 140+ knots. That is getting you somewhere while still going up at a good rate. If I need, I can easily set a 1200 FPM climb but my ground speed drops off. (My field elevation is 1100' but the DA can get rather high in the summer.)

I did this conversion this past summer just after Mark ( he actually helped me with some questions) and absolutely love it. I flew my RV-7 for 5 1/2 years with a wood prop and loved the performance in cruise, but hated that I couldn't go in to short fields because I was not sure I could get out. My take off roll was way too long. I spoke to Catto and flew a friends -7 that has a Catto but it didn't blow me away. After installing the WhirlWind prop, it blew me away. Feels like I bought a hotrod plane. I would do it again in a heart beat. Yes it is pricey... almost cost as much as the Champ that I sold last summer :D:eek:.

I love it! Oh and it's a beautiful prop.
oHA.jpg

RV-9A with IO360

I have an RV-9A with an IO-360 in it. For a little over 400 hours I flew with a 3 blade Catto prop. I then purchased and installed the WW200RV. I documented my installation on my blog (http://www.darinanderson.com/2017/07/fixed-pitch-to-constant-speed.html).

I then flew for 30 days and did another blog post with my impressions (http://www.darinanderson.com/2017/08/constant-speed-conversion-30-day-review.html).

My impressions have not changed since that 30 day review post except to say that I have gotten used to not using engine RPM to control speed. I still don't do as good a job of speed control but I have learned to fly based on airflow and the feel of the airplane.

The one con that nobody has mentioned yet is the drastic reduction in glide ratio with the constant speed prop. If I have oil pressure and can pull the prop back that is not an issue but if I don't have oil pressure the glide ratio tanks.

As I mentioned in my 30 day review given the choice I would not do it again on the 9. The airplane just performs too darn good with a Catto fixed pitch prop and the three blade is so much smoother.

my 2 cents anyway.

Surprising how the perspectives differ. I did see quite a few posts saying how happy they are with the Catto.

BCP - That prop is beautiful!! Thanks for the insight. Glad to hear the comparison between Catto and WW.

My mind isn't made up yet. Of course I dwell on posts like BCP's due to words like "Blown Away". That is exactly what I am looking for. Sounds like I would get much improved take off performance, be able to slow down easier, and cruise performance remains the same. All for about 13-14K?

Getting ready to do some research on the Catto and read the blog posts!

Thank you!
Ross

Darrin - Those blog posts are great! My take-off roll right now is not impressive. Not sure exactly what it is...but I don't like it. It's one of the driving factors to looking at a new prop.

Also glad you mentioned your CHT's. It's not uncommon here in the summer to get DA of 8500'. I have seen temps at 415 on take-off with my FP prop. I wonder if a CS will be better or worse? More speed might make it better...but higher RPM's might make it worse.

There is no doubt that if you are chasing the pinnacle of takeoff performance then constant speed is the way to go. Even in my blog post I remarked at the amazing takeoff performance. However even with a fixed pitch prop I performed far better than any previous airplane I had the pleasure to fly (pre RV of course).

My experience has been that the ability to control rpm is a benefit for temperature control...like I said I could dial back the RPM to keep my oil temps down and still have great climb performance on a hot day.

You might consider the whirlwind 300-72. It?s a3 blade with a quite a bit more climb and acceleration than the rv200. Also a couple knots better in cruise.
Jack

Back