Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
The Airliners I flew where never that flash, doesn't anyone look out the window anymore and enjoy the view?
Not when I'm flying hard IFR
RV-8, Sold
RV-7, Sold
Bearhawk 4-Place, Sold
=VAF= donor 2020
Old 08-10-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Langhout View Post
I've gotta say . . . . I touch my audio panel all the time. With 2 COMs and periodically having to listen to NAV IDs, its rare to have a flight where I didn't touch it multiple times. I typically put AWOS/ASOS on COM2 and various unicom or ATC freqs on COM1. Not unusual to listen to COM2 for a bit while monitoring COM1. (and there is the occasional fiddle with the right volume knob for XM radio tunes )

Everybody has their preferred processes . . . . . . .
My simple SL-40 has a button where I monitor Freq#2 while I'm using Freq #1. If I hear anything I just touch one button on the SL-40 and flip flop to the Freq#2.
RV-8 N52VM: OnSpeed Gen2 AOA-3D, Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR & GPS496, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
I have the HDX in my RV-7. You don't really need 2 HDX screens. That's way overkill. Save the money and buy a Garmin GTN-650 or 750 to replace that 430W. Better yet (and less expensive) is the Avidyne IFD-540. I have the GTN-750 in my Saratoga and the IFD-540 in my RV-7, and honestly I like the IFD-540 better.

Good luck on your design!
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the IFD540 run you? When I was looking at the Avidyne units a while back as a Garmin alternative, from my limited research it seemed the Avidyne units were more expensive. For example a quick web search shows a $10,350 price tag for an IFD440 vs $9979 for a GTN650.

That said, I do like the design philosophy of Avidyne better than Garmin. It's the same reason I like the Dynon EFIS - almost every function can be performed either with a touch gesture on the screen or a physical button press. I like having that second option for those bumpy days. And it seems like Avidyne has a similar setup, unlike the 650 which pretty much 100% requires touch. I've enjoyed flying behind a 650 in rentals - boy is it ever a lear forward over the 430 - but there are definitely times on hot days when it's tough to get it to do what I want. Anchoring on the bezel only helps so much...
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 08-10-2019, 07:12 PM

Here's my IFR HDX panel. Not flying yet but will be shortly.

I chose the Avidyne IFD-440

Travis

Old 08-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
I have the HDX in my RV-7. You don't really need 2 HDX screens. That's way overkill. Save the money and buy a Garmin GTN-650 or 750 to replace that 430W. Better yet (and less expensive) is the Avidyne IFD-540. I have the GTN-750 in my Saratoga and the IFD-540 in my RV-7, and honestly I like the IFD-540 better.

Good luck on your design!
I second that emotion wrt the pax side big screen. Kudos for choosing the G5 as backup PFD! That is the one instrument that will be in every airplane I ever own. The big Dynon on the right is a waste of space and, with wiring, about 6 pounds you don’t need to carry around. Consider instead an iPad 11” pro on a ram mount the allows you to aim it right at your eyeballs. When all the other hoopla goes belly up, it and the G5 could save your life. That is an essential part of the Garmin Suite I’m installing now(iPad 10.5 pro shown but I’m upgrading to 11”). Another suggestion would be to put the PFD higher up on the panel, and the gps navigator at the top. Does not matter much in hard IFR, but what percentage of your flying will be hard IFR? The rest of the time, there is a huge safety advantage in gaving important instruments as near to the outside view as possible. Note the lengths I went to to put the G3X and the GTN750( my MFD) as high as humanly possible.- Otis
Frmr Test Pilot/Author CAFE APR's:
RV-8A, S-7C, Europa, Glastar.
-2019 VAF donation!!-
"RV-Fun is inversely proportional to RV-Weight!"

Last edited by Hartstoc : 08-10-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartstoc View Post
I second that emotion wrt the pax side big screen. Kudos for choosing the G5 as backup PFD! That is the one instrument that will be in every airplane I ever own. The big Dynon on the right is a waste of space and, with wiring, about 6 pounds you donít need to carry around. Consider instead an iPad 11Ē pro on a ram mount the allows you to aim it right at your eyeballs. When all the other hoopla goes belly up, it and the G5 could save your life. That is an essential part of the Garmin Suite Iím installing now(iPad 10.5 pro shown but Iím upgrading to 11Ē). Another suggestion would be to put the PFD higher up on the panel, and the gps navigator at the top. Does not matter much in hard IFR, but what percentage of your flying will be hard IFR? The rest of the time, there is a huge safety advantage in gaving important instruments as near to the outside view as possible. Note the lengths I went to to put the G3X and the GTN750( my MFD) as high as humanly possible.- Otis
I agree. I have the Dynon D-180 with autopilot and was considering changing everything to Skyview but for now I think Iím just going to add the Garmin 175 and an iPad installed in the panel as a backup EFIS. It has the synthetic vision and charts and then Iíd have everything I need for light IFR.
RV-8 N52VM: OnSpeed Gen2 AOA-3D, Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR & GPS496, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Old 08-10-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Langhout View Post
I've gotta say . . . . I touch my audio panel all the time. With 2 COMs and periodically having to listen to NAV IDs, its rare to have a flight where I didn't touch it multiple times. I typically put AWOS/ASOS on COM2 and various unicom or ATC freqs on COM1. Not unusual to listen to COM2 for a bit while monitoring COM1. (and there is the occasional fiddle with the right volume knob for XM radio tunes )

Everybody has their preferred processes . . . . . . .
Interesting...I fly exactly the same with my intercom plus extra unswitched inputs. When I want to hear ATIS on com 2, I just turn up the com 2 volume. When I want to ID a VOR I just push the ID button on my SL30, and I hear the morse code. And when I want to hear the xm music, I have a volume control for that, too. Wife has her own volume knobs, so she can set them as she likes.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Interesting...I fly exactly the same with my intercom plus extra unswitched inputs. When I want to hear ATIS on com 2, I just turn up the com 2 volume. When I want to ID a VOR I just push the ID button on my SL30, and I hear the morse code. And when I want to hear the xm music, I have a volume control for that, too. Wife has her own volume knobs, so she can set them as she likes.
Youíre saying you donít have an audio panel just all radios connected to the intercom with the volumes lowered and you raise whatever you want to hear? Then just a switch for the PTTs?

Old 08-10-2019, 11:36 PM

A contrasting viewpoint on the "second screen" discussion: As of this moment, my panel plan for my -8 includes two 10" HDX screens (as well as redundant ADAHRS). Previous plans included only a single screen, and a G5 for a backup. My rationale for this current plan (second HDX instead of G5) essentially goes as follows:

Pros:
  • Backup primary instruments provide little to no degradation in capabilities
  • In normal use, the backup instrument provides added value/capability, as opposed to a G5 which is essentially a paperweight until something breaks

Cons:
  • Arguable loss of redundancy - classic example would be a software bug in the SV that bricks a display. Most likely kills everything in this scenario.
  • On a similar note, less independence between primary/backup systems

For my mission (VFR and the age-old "light IFR"), I feel like the pros and cons even out pretty well. As I said, right now I'm tending towards two HDXs, but I'm not hard settled on that decision. If nothing else, budget factors may change what I end up with, since there's a pretty big cost difference between a G5 and a second HDX.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 08-11-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N546RV View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the IFD540 run you? When I was looking at the Avidyne units a while back as a Garmin alternative, from my limited research it seemed the Avidyne units were more expensive. For example a quick web search shows a $10,350 price tag for an IFD440 vs $9979 for a GTN650.
I traded a GNS-530W for a used IFD-540. I found an avionics dealer in Colorado who had the IFD-540 on the shelf. I think I paid something like $6,000 for the trade up.

The nice thing was that the IFD-540 perfectly matched the GNS-530W tray and connectors. Perfectly.

I fly in a lot of turbulence out here in the mountain west, hot days, etc. The IFD-540 is so much easier to work with in the bumps. But more importantly, the route planning, loading and changing more closely matches the FMS in my Boeing at work.

But don't get me wrong, I am quite happy with my GTN-750 in another plane. I just like the 540 better in my -7. I'm not a fanboy or hater of either Garmin or Avidyne. They're both excellent.
RV-8, Sold
RV-7, Sold
Bearhawk 4-Place, Sold
=VAF= donor 2020