What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's RV-12 winterization kit

John-G

Well Known Member
The Van's winterization kit for the RV-12 has been available for almost two years now ... so hopefully someone can answer my question regarding the use of the three oil cooler covers.

What has your experience been regarding temperature ranges (based on ground temperature) that best suits the small, medium and large oil cooler covers?

I believe I read a post a while back stating at 35° F OAT the small oil cooler cover worked well and kept the oil temperature around 200° F ... but I don't remember reading anything about the other sizes.

Last edited:
John

I have only used the largest oil cooler plate. OAT was 37F at 2700MSL and oil was stabilized at 212F.

15wf4ft.png

The Van's winterization kit for the RV-12 has been available for almost two years now ... so hopefully someone can answer my question regarding the use of the three oil cooler covers.

What has your experience been regarding temperature ranges (based on ground temperature) that best suits the small, medium and large oil cooler covers?

I believe I read a post a while back stating at 35? F OAT the small oil cooler cover worked well and kept the oil temperature around 200? F ... but I don't remember reading anything about the other sizes.

The reason there are 3 covers is because every engine has a specific oil temperature personality.
I have installed a different engine on a flying airframe and seen totally different oil temperatures in the same oat conditions.

Because of that, you can't necessarily use a specific recommendation from a different RV-12 owner, and it is why the instructions are written the way they are (instructing to experiment... starting with the smallest and see what the result is.

Back