What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mobile Dynon Data

akarmy

Well Known Member
Ok, I can't be the only one that has had this happen to. Too many times I arrive at the airport ready to go flying, and upon startup I get the dreaded, your chart data is out of date on my Skyview system. Now what I really want is a wifi cellular mobile download accessory to install into my plane so it's always current. Since I can't have that... I came up with this.

IMG_6427.jpg

IMG_6428.jpg

So it's a simple flash drive from Sandisk, however the neat part is that it has USB on one side, and an iphone lightening connector on the other side. You can simply plug it into your phone, go to the dynon website, download the current data update, unplug from phone, plug into your dynon USB port and update your aviation data. All in just a few min (or seconds depending on your connection speed).

I made a little saved shortcut in my flying folder on the phone that takes me directly to the download website to make it easy.

IMG_6429-576x1024.png

IMG_6430-576x1024.png

I have found for some reason the Sandisk software only works with safari on the iphone (the default browser) so don't try chrome or other browsers. Once you have downloaded the data you click the little sharing icon at the bottom and say to open in "SanDisk iXpand Drive" which saves the file to the USB stick.

Here is the USB stick

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CIEBU22

Hopefully that helps someone else out there. Or I'm sure you'll let us know if there's another way to accomplish this as well. Even once moving to an Airpark where I have my plane at home with wifi in the hangar it's really handy to just grab the usb stick from the bench and download the data with your phone.

Lucky you - here in dark Africa we cannot do that. We just press the ACCEPT button and Go Fly ;)

I carry a small flash drive with me all the time on my key ring. I have a reminder on my computer every 28 days to download the upcoming data onto that flash drive. When my "expired" warning comes up I have the new data on the flash drive.

I use two small flash drives. One in the SkyView and the other in my flight bag. When the data becomes available on line, I update the flash drive in the flight bag. Then when the data becomes effective, I just swap the flash drives. I repeat the process for every cycle. Now days micro 16GB USB3.0 flash drives are so cheap I actually got them in two colors (Black / Blue) so it is easy to distinguish which one has the latest data files on them. YMMV

:cool:

Back