What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition training in Canada

NorthernRV4

Well Known Member
Is there anyone who offers training in type in Canada that satisfies the insurance companies? I know Vans doesn't list any official sources for transition training in Canada but I'm hoping there is someone offering such a service.

I have done transition training that was accepted by an insurance company. I live in St.Thomas, ont., which is a long ways from you. See if your company would accept traing from a high time RV pilot in your area.
One time I had to check out an instructor so that he could check out the new RV10 pilot to meet insurance requirements.

Hi Jim, check with your insurance broker to see if they will allow someone with extensive experience to do your transition training. When it was time for my transition training I had a gentleman with a lot of experience on different types, including his high performance endorsement do my check. It helped that my broker is a pilot and knows the guy that checked me out, but he went to bat and had the insurance company recognize my transition training. My pilot was also a past instructor, holds a commercial license and numerous other ratings so he did have the qualifications.

This will only help if there is someone reasonable at the insurance company.

You may want to check with you local EAA and RAA groups as they may be able to hook you up with someone.

Good luck, Al

We are fortunate in our area to have a number of very competent folks that can handle RV check-outs & transition training. Note that there is a difference between the two.
I have 'checked-out' a couple CFIs who went on to do transition training for others. I felt myself capable to demonstrate systems and flight envelope as well techniques that works for me, but fully assume I don't have the training to present the associated knowledge (theory, practical, etc) that would make up a proper 'transition training' session.
Ins companies usually accept any CFI or commercial rated pilot with min 100hr on type, but it's best (results wise) to search out that special instructor/check pilot that has real RV time or a good feel for RV type flying. We are lucky to have a few of these folks (very unnecessary for any check-out from me!) in our area I'd have no hesitation in recommending.
So, unless you fall under the highly experienced pilot category, I'd suggest 'Transition training' over 'check-out' so you can confidently realize your birds full capabilities.

Thanks fellas, I didn't realize Insurance companies in Canada made a distinction between a "check out" and transition training. I've only heard from others that they required X number of hours of time on type. Good to know (but kinda unfortunate) most insurance companies require the instructor to be a CFI or Commercial pilot with 100+ hours on type otherwise you'd be able to get hours with any experienced RV pilot, which would make things easier.

I am willing to travel to get it done. GTA is fairly easy for me as I'm there for work a few times a year usually. I guess the other big question is how much tail wheel time do most require before transitioning to an RV (non-A) Even though I'm building right now I have the good fortune to be able to fly a friends RV-4 from time to time. I'm still a low time PP and I want to get the proper training. Ideally in Canada.

Thanks fellas, I didn't realize Insurance companies in Canada made a distinction between a "check out" and transition training.

Stated another way... Ins Companies usually ask new owner pilots to get 5 or 10hr dual instruction (in said aircraft) before they will cover them for solo flight in that aircraft. They don't usually say "check-out' or 'transition training', unless you are a real newbie with less than 100hrPIC, in which they might ask for even more dual...

The regs used to read you need a minimum of 100 hours PIC time to test fly a new aircraft. Not sure if that's still the case.

Without hull insurance, years ago, COPA insurance never asked for time in a specific type. Again, that may have changed recently.

My insurance company required a checkout by a "qualified" instructor, not time in type. When I needed my checkout, I requested approval of a pilot who was not an instructor, but had extensive experience in RV's and was a current military pilot, and was granted that approval. When my son required a checkout, I requested approval of another pilot friend who had experience as a military instructor, was a current airline pilot, and had 100 hrs RV time. Again, this was approved. The lesson is that if you have someone in mind that logically should be able to provide a knowledgeable and constructive checkout, but who doesn't meet the letter of the insurance company's requirements as a check pilot, ASK! They are smart enough to understand that a pilot with the right experience but not the official qualifications will provide a better check ride than a CFI who lacks specific knowledge and experience in our unique aircraft. They are more flexible than you might guess!

All good info, thanks guys! It really sounds like every situation is a bit unique and varies a little by insurance company. I guess ideally I would like to find an experienced RV pilot (if an instructor all the better) who can provide 5-10 hours in their RV-6 or RV-7 tail dragger. I do have over 100hrs in a PA-28 but I realize this is nothing like an RV. I am looking at getting some tail wheel time in a Citabria but that won't help with the insurance. Ideally I'd be able to kill two birds with one stone and get tail wheel time in an RV but I suspect that is unlikely.

If you know of someone who would do both please let me know

Back