What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

unimproved airstrips

ajay

Finally getting around to repairing my cracked wheel pants caused from some unimproved airstrips. Also planning on giving a little more opening on the back side in hopes to avoid more future cracks.

While I'm doing it, I'm wondering if larger tires are possible. The 600x6 main wheels and 500x5 nose is fine for smooth grass, but for gravel and softer turf it would be nice to have larger tires. Would the 800x6 on the mains and 380x150x5 or 700x6 fit on the nose?

Any thoughts?

Andy

I did not put pants on - sold them. Have never regretted not having plastic watermelons to worry about.
John

John,

That's my backup plan. In the mean time, still vainly seeking that illusive 3 extra knots that the watermelons afford. BTW, where did you get those hubcaps? What kind of TAS cruise can you get with your v8 and no wheel pants?

Andy

The 380 tires work great and make a very noticeable difference on rougher strips and even with normal ops. On 55BC I have them at 40psi and they really soak up the bumps and have a lessened tendency to bounce even on pavement. Physically the 380 tires are only marginally bigger in diameter however they are wider and bulge out considerably more than the rim width. Because of the lessened stiffness of the sidewall they soak everything up better. The big advantage of the 380 tires over the larger ones is no changes to the brakes or wheelpants are required. On an A model you would have to change the nosewheel fork.

Last edited:
John,

That's my backup plan. In the mean time, still vainly seeking that illusive 3 extra knots that the watermelons afford. BTW, where did you get those hubcaps? What kind of TAS cruise can you get with your v8 and no wheel pants?

Andy

The hub caps are what came with the wheels - John Stahr painted them to look like the wheel on an AF-18.

As far as TAS, I can pretty much do what I want, but fuel flow can get pretty high. I like to cruise around 165/175 knots TAS around 8500'. That gives my wife and me the best view, best temperatures, and a fuel flow around 11.5. Locally, the ATL Class B keeps us below 6K. I keep the flow below 12 but I only get 145/165 true (depending on temp, etc.). My GRT HX usually indicates the best mpg at these settings - between 16 and 17 mpg, depending on wind of course.
Frankly, I don't think there's that much drag on my clean wheels - I still have the leg fairings.

John

Back