What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon radio, 8.33 khz spacing?

Daida

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

does anyone know if Dynon will offer a Skyview COM radio with 8,33khz spacing?

good question refering to that is whether i need it or not.
As in europe, the 8.33khz spacing is only used in the upper airspace, i will most certainly will not need it right away. But i rather do it right once and be prepared for whatever happens, than have to do it over again in a couple of years.
Next issue is, i might go abroad to whichever country in the future to work there for a couple of years. With the 8.33khz spacing i will not have a problem wherever i go.

i am interested what you guys think/know about that!!

Daida

8.33 Com Radio

Hi,
I'm a bit behind you but starting to think seriously about the avionics as well.
For the VHF I will probably get this one:
http://www.trig-avionics.com/ty91.html
It's probably wise to install a 8.33 radio now as things will change in Europe, and I think it will be mandatory for everyone from 2018.
I am in France and got a quote for this radio including antenna and cable plus installation and testing for about 1300€ from a dealer not far from where I live.
I think it's a good unit, light, small space on the panel and you can install the remote box anywhere. It also plugs into the Dynon for preset frequencies I think.

EDIT:It also includes a built in intercom, and TRIG-avionics is the company that makes the transponder that is sold by Dynon.

Last edited:
When I discussed this 2 years ago at Sun n Fun, they intimated that they were doing a deal with Trig to supply.

Last year, they said that the deal had been delayed, they wanted to move forward with a radio and at that time, were not concerned with 8.33 as it didn't apply in the USA.

I too wanted to stay integrated with Dynon and have now modified our set up to use a Garmin 8.33 COM besides the Skyview.

Not the best result, blame EASA, Trig and Dynon ;);)

It may change, but not soon.

We are in the same situation in the UK - 8.33 is not 'needed', but may be useful/needed soon, especially if you tour through Europe.

We are in the same situation in the UK - 8.33 is not 'needed', but may be useful/needed soon, especially if you tour through Europe.
Afraid not the entire case Mike :(

As from Nov 13 you were not be able to get an initial Permit for an LAA aircraft with a non 8.33 radio. From end 2017 all must have 8.33. There were 1 or 2 aircraft trying to rush through the build / test processes to beat the Nov 13 deadline...

I have the gnc255 connected to SV using the SL30 protocols. Not flying yet but seems to work as advertised. Unfortunately, you don't get the advanced features as the data stream from the SV doesn't include GPS. There is only one serial port on the 255 so the only possible answer would be to add an Arinc module. Too hard and too expensive! Apparently, Dynon are thinking about adding a dedicated 225/255 protocol to allow all features to be used.

As far as I know, they have no plans to introduce 8.33 radio. I suspect the small numbers and the cost of EASA approval make it uneconomic.

8.33 kHz in USA

It hasn't come to ATC communication yet, but 8.33 spacing is used in the USA for airline company and flight test communications. It's a lot easier to get coordination for an 8.33 kHz flight test frequency than a 25 kHz one.

PAR200 with 8.33Khz spacing

Just a note to let you know that the Trig TY91L that is used as the remote radio with the PAR200, does have 8.33Khz and EASA approval is pending.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.

Back