What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen tank size for RV-9A

Dreamin9

I'm looking at SkyOx/Sportys 15 and 22 cu/ft systems. Both are 24" tall, diameters are 4 3/8 and 5 1/4" respectively. One pound difference in weight,
$5-10 difference in cost.

It seems the smaller 15 should be adequate for a decent out and back trip with two people at 10-14 thousand feet. The prime reason I'm considering the larger tank is to reduce the time, cost, hassle of topping off the tank.

It will be attached to the right flap cover by a quick release mechanism and will be out of the plane for local/short flights.

An extra 7/8" diameter doesn't sound like much but.......

Thought?

Thanks!

I got a composite tank years ago, a little lighter than metal. But the more important choice was a pulsed delivery system that significantly increases the longevity of the oxygen so that you don't run out some place where oxygen is hard to refill. You're right, you want enough for a complete trip, but even better, you want a system that doesn't have to be absolutely full for each trip.

I got a Mountain High system and what I like about it is that I can dial up an extra liter per minute above average as my physiology needs more oxygen than most. In fact, I start to get hypoxia symptoms at 8,000 feet, even after I'd lived at 5,000 for four years.

Best advice I can give is don't try to save a hundred bucks and then discover that what you bought doesn't meet your needs.

Ed

Get an E-sized tank and the Mountain High EDS system, you'll never regret it. That's what I run in my 9A. I mounted my tank in the baggage compartment up against the wall behind the passenger seat, it's very easy to reach in flight to turn it on or off.

I certainly understand and appreciate the advantages of a Mountain High demand system I can't justify the significant added cost.

A 24 cu/ft constant flow system with oximiser cannula s is about $555.
The MH system is $1325.

From their web site:

Description: EDS-O2D2-2G with AL-647 Aluminum cylinder and XCR-540 regulator.
O2D2-2G-with-cannula-96dpiAL-647REG-1032XCRMH Item #: 00EDS-2062-02
with Full Pack

00EDS-2062-02
O2D2-647-2P-F
Price/Unit
1,325.00 USD

If I was flying the Rockies regularly the MH would make more sense.

Last edited:
Carl,
Just personal opinion. It's not worth to shell money on an expensive oxygen setup. Better burn that money. A friend of mine rolled a simple medical system for me recently after I decided to dump an aviation brand. I sent my certified system for repairs and service and the bill eventually exceeded the system costs. Do you own, fly the heck out of it then replace with minimum expense. Just an opinion there is a lot of theory here in the archives and a lot of discussion. I listened and wasted couple dozen gallons :)

The difference in price between the MH and the AEROX system price you could get a refill system in your hangar. Just another point.

Mountain High sells refurb units at times also. Might check with them.
Another option is the helicopter system they made for the military. It is a small chest worn bottle and pulse regulator. I found one surplus on ebay... though it was new. It lasts many flights and I fill it from my large welding tank. Comes on automatically above 8000 feet. Cheers.

Mountain High sells refurb units at times also. Might check with them.
Another option is the helicopter system they made for the military. It is a small chest worn bottle and pulse regulator. I found one surplus on ebay... though it was new. It lasts many flights and I fill it from my large welding tank. Comes on automatically above 8000 feet. Cheers.

That's what I'm using, but I tethered it to my E-size bottle. Works great, lasts forever, and it was way cheap since I got the PHODS module for $50 on ebay.

Aerox 2D

I use the aerox 2D from aircraft spruce. Also get the D size mounting bracket. I mounted the bracket to the Side of the copilot side flap rod cover in the baggage compartment, bottle rests on floor standing vertical, secured to side. Easy to reach the valves from driver seat.

Derek,

Do you ever wish you had the 2M bottle? Same height as the 2D, 7/8" bigger diameter, ~50% more capacity, a tad more expensive.

When the bottle is out of the plane, and you don't need O2, do the clamps intrude on the baggage space or can you just push them out of the way when loading?

Carl

Derek,

Do you ever wish you had the 2M bottle? Same height as the 2D, 7/8" bigger diameter, ~50% more capacity, a tad more expensive.

When the bottle is out of the plane, and you don't need O2, do the clamps intrude on the baggage space or can you just push them out of the way when loading?

Carl

When you remove the bottle, you can take the circle part of the clamp (that goes around bottle) with too and just leave a tiny side bracket bolted to the sidewall, not even noticeable. I don't use O2 enough to want more, the 2D is still good for up to 13 hours for two people. Bottles themselves are heavy and do take up space, so I guess I'm glad that I didn't spend more on a larger bottle.

Back