What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally Got One!

My buddy and I are excited to have finally purchased an RV-6. We looked for a -8 initially but after evaluating our mission and understanding that I'd be flying with my kids (need to be beside me) and he'd be doing long cross-country, we decided that the -6 fit us better.
We bought Frank Johnson's RV-6 (Performance Propellers http://performancepropellersusa.com/Photos.htm) and couldn't be happier. Great build, terrific motor and all-around great setup for us - not to mention the awesome prop!

Due to weather and other scheduling issues, yesterday was my first flight in the bird. Amazing handling and I'm so excited to log more time! Now I understand the terrific following these planes have!

Anyway, we'll be more involved on the forum going forward and I've already made a donation for the great resources this site provides!

Thanks!

Last edited:
We have owned 3 RV6'S and loved flying them for over 2100 hours. Never got over smiling after a flight. Congrats and enjoy every minute.

Way to go and welcome to the grand RV community.

Sounds like it fit your mission.

They are fun from day 1, yet you really learn to love them in over time.
Daddyman

Thanks guys! I've been in contact with Dave Austin in the DFW area to hop out and give me a checkout in it. I think the thing i'm most amazed with so far (because the weather is pretty crappy and i haven't got to fly it all that much) is that if any parts / pieces, etc. are needed my buddy and i can run down to the local parts store and pick them up. I'm simply amazed at the potential in the EXP community.

New RV6A performance question

hello RV6 community. I just bought an RV6A in October and am still getting to know my plane. On a recent cross country I was cruising at approximately 145 knots IAS. Maybe I should have flown more RV6s before I pulled the trigger but I was expecting something closer to 160. It's an O-360 fixed prop and I was at 2500 RPM and 5000'. Ambient temp was 29 F.

I'm a fairly low time pilot but these numbers just don't seem to match up with what the specifications (https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv6perf.htm) lead me to believe before I bought it.

Is this typical for cruise performance?

Check your pitot system for leaks.

I was flying formation with a buddy who was flying a friends "doggy" 8 to keep the oil warm. It wasn't doggy! The airspeed system is wayyy off. bad leak somewhere.

Get someone to fly on your wing and sanity check your readings before declaring it "slow".

Closer than you think

For a real comparison to Van's specifications, you need to climb to 8000 and measure IAS at WOT.

Your figure of 145KIAS at 5000 converts roughly to 160KTAS, and that converts to 184MPH. Not that far from the 189MPH that Van's advertises for the 6A

Last edited:
My rv6 with 160hp O-320 and 67x70 catto 3 blade prop will run 2660 rpms WOT at 8000ft DA for a 4 way gps speed run that averages out to 182.5 mph while indicating 163 mph. I think my prop is slightly over pitched. I am slowly getting my plane to meet Vans's numbers.

Last edited:
Back