What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cdn Insurance

Champ

Well Known Member
I contacted Air1 (who I have dealt with for many years on my Champ) and also Magnes. Are there other brokers I should contact for a quote on my just completed RV-8? Would it be worthwhile getting a quote from any US brokers/underwriters? If yes - who?

I get mine through EAA Canada (C-Plan). Their rates are as good as anyone elses and are easy to deal with.

EAA Aircraft Insurance Program Canada C-PLAN
EAA Programme d'Assurances Avion pour le Canada C-PLAN
905-507-7139
1-855-736-3407
Fax: 905-507-2882
[email protected]
www.eaainsurance.ca

Cheers

C plan and copa

I am with c plan through eaa, but i have buddies on the field that left copa's plan a few years back when c plan came in and whooped their prices. Now in the last year or two i believe copa supplier has sharpened their pencils and is now a hundred or two a year CHEAPER than C Plan through EAA.

Either are fine but a couple hundred bucks pays for gas and hotel for a weekend away sooooo....shop around. :D

Cdn insurance

I found Bill at National Aviation insurance to be super to deal with. He is a pilot himself and cuts through the normal BS. I believe he gets the same rate as C- Plan but check and see. He was even going to come out and check me out in my RV if I couldn't find someone.

Good luck, Al

Home built insurance

Marsh Canada Aviation Gold (or Silver) Wings plan has excellent in flight hull coverage. Since taking a transition training course, my rates are lower than similar valued certified planes
Jay

I shop mine around every year, and have used EAA, Magnes, and Marsh. Every year it gets cheaper.

get quotes, then see if they will compete

I used to just get 3 quotes, then pick the lowest or best coverage....lowest or disappearing deductible, that kind of thing.
This year Air 1 emailed, and I replied that I already had 2 similar quotes, so wouldn't bother filling out all that paperwork again and waste their time and mine.
...so the owner calls me, I tell him what I'm quoted after 4 years with COPA, and he beats it by a good margin, albeit slightly different package/deductibles.
the tough part is it's hard to get the entire policy in your hands to review BEFORE you make the choice.

I believe C-PLAN exists because U.S. firms can't insure in Canada, and I've used them also.

Insurance

Similar question. I'm looking to add insurance now for my RV-7A since I''ve bought the engine and air frame is done. Value is going up and homeowners doesn't cover it. So I called Avemco. They will cover it both while I'm building it and once I get flying.

But I was a little shocked at price, compared to my Piper Cherokee. Should I expect Experimental Aircraft insurance to cost a lot more than insurance for a production Cherokee? How much more?

thanks

the tough part is it's hard to get the entire policy in your hands to review BEFORE you make the choice.
Never had a problem. Insurance companies are required to tell you what they're selling you, and that means providing a copy of the policy with all details upon request. Every company i've asked has sent one.

With Marsh just under $1000 cdn for the Gold plan on my RV 4. 35 yrs and just under 900 hrs. Best rates I could find in Canada.

COPA-MAGNES INSURANCE

Hi Guys

I just renewed my coverage for my RV-4 with Magnes and for full coverage ($75000.00 Hull Value) and no deductible the cost was $1235.00 including taxes ( 9% in Quebec )
It was just a few $$ more than last year..

Bruno
[email protected]

Signed Up

Thanks for the replies guys.

I went to Air1, Marsh, COPA/Magnes, EAA C-Plan/Nacora and National. Everyone came back real quick except for C-Plan & National. After calling C-Plan back 3 times for a status I finally gave them a dead line to which they didn't responded. National declined saying I was already picking up their underwriter thru my other contacts.

Quotes were all very close. Bottom line - went with Air1 (who currently insure my Champ). $1900 Cdn+tax, $500 deductible, $1,000,000 liab, $100,000 hull, $250,000 tenet liability.

I have 520hr+ and son has 230hr+ tail wheel time. Hope rates come down as we build up RV time.

Similar question. I'm looking to add insurance now for my RV-7A since I''ve bought the engine and air frame is done. Value is going up and homeowners doesn't cover it. So I called Avemco. They will cover it both while I'm building it and once I get flying.

But I was a little shocked at price, compared to my Piper Cherokee. Should I expect Experimental Aircraft insurance to cost a lot more than insurance for a production Cherokee? How much more?

thanks

Steve,

Bit of thread drift here as the post started with Canadian insurance. But to answer your question, here in the US AVEMCO has always quoted me (RV-10) MUCH higher than other companies. If you have low total time, low time in type, and during phase 1, expect to pay more. But for now, call an agency that specializes in EAB like Gallagher (nee NationAir) and talk to them.

Bob

Champ pays 1900 for his RV, I pay 1700-ish for my cherokee. He and his son have more hours. I've also talked to one other RV owner that paid a little more than I do. Technically the risk is a little high for home-builts ... so that's reflected in the price ...

Back