What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6/7 acro pilots... what type is your parachute?

flyr747

5?9 / 170 lbs and interested in getting involved in some of the IAC events and instead of re-inventing the wheel would like to know what parachutes you guys are using?
The search function is fairly sparse for RV-6 and 7s.

Thanks,
Curt

Why would I wear a parachute....... ?

We British are a little more.. well, British ;)

Btw, how are you going to get out of said aeroplane when it goes horribly wrong ?

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Mike,

Thank you for your insightful comment, but the IAC won?t let me ?play? unless I follow the rules and wear a proper chute.

I?m just curious what types other guys use in RV-6 and 7s so I can start my search there.

Plenty of other threads that discuss your point.

Thanks,
Curt

chute

I wore a Softie seatpack in a friend's RV-7, removing the seat cushion, and it fit fine. I also use this one in my RV-4.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower Alabama

I use a national 425 back and remove the back cushion in my RV7 it seems to work well for me. I am close to your size. The rigger I use always comments on how nice the chute is and how well it lays to pack. If I could I would look for the "A" harness.

Mike,

Thank you for your insightful comment, but the IAC won?t let me ?play? unless I follow the rules and wear a proper chute.

I?m just curious what types other guys use in RV-6 and 7s so I can start my search there.

Plenty of other threads that discuss your point.

Thanks,
Curt

Then come and enter a BAeA competition - double harness only, no parachute required!
Suggest IAC needs to look carefully at its rules ... How many successful bailouts have there been from RV-6/7s? Not many that I can remember...

Pete

RV-6 parachute

Curt,

I am near you in MLB & just bought a Strong Acropro due to their proximity in Orlando. This chute is not very comfortable but I am going to have to get used to it since I bought it already. The should straps are wide & hinder some arm movement like raising an arm to close the canopy. It pushes me forward so the stick now is close to the crotch.

I had a National 360 before & it was more comfortable. However, I wore it in my One Design & rarely wore it in the RV6. Now the 1D is sold and thought I should start wearing a chute again. But the National got sun damage within 10 yrs and Strong refused to repack it because the harness is faded. It was only in the sun while I was wearing it or sitting in the plane at a contest.

Rick Caldwell
RV-6 910 hrs & climbing
Xenos motorglider underway
One Design sold

Chute thickness???

Could you guys who already have chutes tell me how thick they are? I had one, but it was 3 1/2 inches thick. Pushed me so far forward in my RV 8, that it just wasn't practical. Had to sell it.

Thanks guys.:)

Could you guys who already have chutes tell me how thick they are? I had one, but it was 3 1/2 inches thick. Pushed me so far forward in my RV 8, that it just wasn't practical. Had to sell it.

Thanks guys.:)

I have a Mini Softie 15" wide chute. It is 2.5" thick. I removed the seat back cushion so it only moves me forward an inch and a half. Noticeable but not debilitating.

I got the 15" wide because one poster in the forum suggested that while the 16" is a bit thinner, it's edges rub against the seat back edges.

There are a couple screw heads on the seat back so I might cover then with duct tape or something else to be sure there's no wear on the chute.

Para

I have a wedge softie.
From the website....
The container is 2 1/2" thick at bottom, 1/2" thick at top x 15" wide x 23" long. Canopy Type: Steerable Conical*. Total weight: 15

I looked at and tried on the Softie Mini at SnF. When I got home, I made a parachute "simulator" out of dense packing foam based on the published Softie Mini container dimensions. Replaced my Classic Aero seatback cushion with it and it seems to be about the same thickness at the lumbar. A little thicker at the shoulder area, but not much difference that I could feel. So, seating-wise it looks fine for my plane and normal seating position. Now, I still have to figure out an exit strategy...

Last edited:
Softie wedge. RV-6 / Slider.

I remove the seatback cushion and fit a 1/2" thick "Gym Mat" in its place to create some friction (the nylon chute container slides around otherwise).

From what I've read it's doubtful the slider could be opened in flight in order to vacate. I have therefore replaced the AN3 bolts in the front bow roller feet with Pip Pins the idea being to 1 - Remove pins, 2 - Undo centre latch, 3 - Undo harness.

Personally, I don't think the canopy would hang around long if the roller feet are no longer secured. I've timed the pin / latch removal process at 12 seconds - about the same time it takes to free fall the 1st 1000' of a skydive for what that's worth.

Roughly ?2000 cost and 19lb of extra weight - "better to have and not need than need and not have" or so the saying goes .............

5?9 / 170 lbs and interested in getting involved in some of the IAC events and instead of re-inventing the wheel would like to know what parachutes you guys are using?
The search function is fairly sparse for RV-6 and 7s.

Thanks,
Curt

Come to the IAC comp at Sebring from April 30th to May 5th and we will have a Softie dealer there with several designs that you can TRY IN YOUR PLANE.

He is bringing a Softie Mini, Softie Wedge, and Softie Seat.

All of these rigs are new demos and will be for sale. Also let everyone know that anyone who purchases one of the demos or orders a new parachute at the contest will receive a free carry bag ($45 value), free shipping ($50 value) and 15% off. Currently Softie is running 4 to 6 weeks for new parachutes so just keep that in mind.

I am trying to make it so these contests are events where companies can bring out their products for people to try.

Bonehead Composites is also sending us helmets.
The Pilot X
Gunner
And a new pilot helmet just introduced.

You will be able to try these out as well.

Strong AcroPro

The Strong webpage says the AcroPro is 3.5" thick. With the seatback all the way back I feel forward enough that it felt awkward. I am small at 145 lb so, past the uncomfortable feeling, I can still move the stick full range. How Strong advertises the chute fits the RV-6 is beyond me. It would be impossible for anyone registering on the bubba scale.

Back