What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch and Virb G-Metrix

iamtheari

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a reference that identifies which parameters the Garmin Virb will record when paired with a G3X Touch panel? I am putting the G3X in my plane and I am considering asking Santa to bring me a Virb so I can document my flight testing with both video and instrumentation provided by the G3X. But I can't find anything to say specifically what information you can record this way and overlay on your videos later. Does anyone know what information is actually available?

In my research, which may be outdated, the only one that worked seamlessly is the Virb 30 Ultra.

I used them and they record audio via bluetooth off the comms.

In my research, which may be outdated, the only one that worked seamlessly is the Virb 30 Ultra.

I used them and they record audio via bluetooth off the comms.

The Virb 30 Ultra is the one I'm looking at. Did the audio recording via bluetooth have decent quality? Did you try any of the other data like airspeed?

The audio quality is great!

The airspeed/alt information comes from the Virb's built-in GPS, also works great and is fairly accurate.

The audio quality is great!

The airspeed/alt information comes from the Virb's built-in GPS, also works great and is fairly accurate.

GPS groundspeed and altitude come from the Virb. The information I want is the air data, like indicated airspeed, altitude, and temperature. I suspect this information is available but can't find proof of it.

Here is the link I am looking at for the Virb Ultra 30 Aviation bundle: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/577075

The product description says: "Since it's Connext capable, it can receive superior aviation-specific data from your G3X Touch flight display and Flight Stream 110/210 and Flight Stream 510."

But I can't find any further information about which "aviation-specific data" the Virb will actually receive from the G3X.

Bluetooth audio from my Garmin audio panel to the virb is Crystal clear, including intercom and radio transmissions.

Any data overlay is taken from the virb's internal gps. The G3X doesn't send adhrs data to the virb. You can control the virb starting and stopping recording from the G3X, your phone, or tablet. If you use Garmin pilot, I think you can even embed a screen grab from the virb to be included with the logbook portion of Garmin pilot.

Back