What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Sender Clarity

cyrus

Well Known Member
I have to fix a leak in my RV-6 fuel tank and figured now would be a good time to replace my fuel sender unit (float). And yes, I’ve read through all the posts dating back to 2005.

1) Does ACS sell a float already ‘configured’ for an RV-6 or is that from Vans only?

2) if I decide on a capacitive sender, is it as simple as replace and re-seal (I have a G3X) or do capacitive senders have to be bent to fit?

Thanks
Cyrus

[Thread moved from Classifieds (?) to General Discussion; S.Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say "configured" floats I believe you are asking if they come already bent. The answer is no,,, ACS or Vans. You will need to bend them. Same goes for the capacitance probes. You need to bend them up and back down getting them as close to the top skin as possible without touching, drilling a 1/16" hole at the top of the bend without damaging the wire inside, and trimming the tube at the bottom to length, again so it does not touch the skin. I would cut an access hole in the rear baffle to make the installation easier in both cases using Vans baffle cover kit.

Do yourself a favor and do not install capacitive senders. With modern EMS units the float senders can be calibrated to within a gallon or so accuracy.

The easiest thing to do is order the correct sender sender (as in left or right) from Van?s, take the old sender out and bend the new sender float rod to match the old one.

Remember that the last 3/4? or so is a 90 degree bend that goes into the sender arm hole, then the rod snaps into place above this 90 degree bend. I found a couple of builders who just snapped the rod in without the bend.

Carl

Carl is right about the capacitance senders. I put them in my RV-10 and am opting for the floats on my 9-A for a number of reasons.

Back