What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RAF Fly in 8-10 Nov BlackWater (8FD3)

Timberwolf

Well Known Member
Enjoy a weekend at Blackwater Airfield (8FD3), located in the Blackwater River State Forest. Blackwater River State Forest is one of the largest state forests in Florida and is named for the Blackwater River, which begins to the north in Alabama and meanders approximately 30 miles southwestward through the forest into Blackwater Bay near Milton, Florida. The forest contains a wide variety of recreational facilities and hosts a variety of activities.

The field is a mile long turf strip in good condition. There is a country store a few miles away for any requisite items, but supplies can be limited. This is located in a state park, so a small camping fee is required. Hot showers and indoor plumbing are a short walk away. For those not interested in flying in, there is a full service campground on site as well.

I have not received confirmation yet on the food plans, but grills are available for cooking. I will post more information as it becomes available. All aircraft types are welcome to attend. Fuel available a short hop away at Crestview (KCEW) or Milton (2R4).

thanks

for the notice - i missed the RAF communication. would like to attend but it will be a gametime decision

Weather looks to be great after the front rolls through Thursday. Grass is short and the fire pit is cleaned up and ready to go. Hope to see everyone there.

I didn?t get any pics but I know a few others were snapping a few. Weather couldn?t have been better. Turnout was typical with around 20 aircraft. The LSU/Alabama game and the recovery for the airman that fell out of the MC130 this past week took out a few of our guys from the GSS.

All in all it was a great time. The campers at the campground enjoyed rides and the flyovers. Sadly, our -6 was the only RV to show up. We had everything from a Taylorcraft all the way up to a Kodiak Join in. We?re already looking forward to the spring fly in, if not sooner.

frontal passage and fog

made travel from central FL a little difficult. Hopefully the spring will be kinder to us.

Snow and cold made trip from Michigan out of the question. We've looked at Blackwater for a couple years from the RAF website. Be sure to post the next fly-in here. We want to join you!

Jim Butcher

Back