What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any suggestions for seat heat wire install

caapt

Well Known Member
Just got my Classic Aero seats. Any thoughts on where to run the wire harness? Where/how to run wires to the seat. Also, any guidence on installing the seats?

Caapt: I have my classic aero seats coming soon and am setting up the seat heat wiring now. I wondered where you ended up placing your switches and if you know how long the provided leads are. I need to figure a graceful routing/transition from the underside of the seat cushions to the (I plan) left sidewall of my RV8A.

I have my Classic Aero seats and seat heat wires in hand but not yet installed. Hopefully this week I can change that.

My seat heat switched are installed in the center of the panel, below the radio stack and above the engine controls. I know that the wires provided will not reach the seats, through the center tunnel. I'll have to do some surgery.

If the switches were mounted further aft, say in the flap motor cover, the provided harness might work.

My switches are in the flap motor cover. I have coaxial power plugs there too, one for the front seat and one for the rear. When not in use I unplug and stow them.

I just finished wiring mine. They really do help. I am not satisfied with how it all works. I figured I needed to wire them with the switches in the panel. I was able to make it work but it was a lot more work and I will change things as soon as it warms up in spring. If you look on my panel I have an auto fuse panel just behind the usb and cigarette lighter on the right side of the panel. I was able to get the wire around the vent and under the side panels. That is where I made the junction connection. It works but just not like I want it.

I believe a better plan is to run power to the baggage area to a fuse panel so I can power the seats, camera, OX system, and another USB outlet. I am not sure why I thought I had to have the switches mounted on the panel but I drilled the holes first so I was stuck. panel 1-20-2024.jpg

To remove the interior (arm rests etc.) you will have to move the seats out of the way. Make sure you have an easy way to disconnect them (e.g. service loops.)

Not a 14, but on my 8, I put connectors at the base of the seat (out of kick areas) for seat and seatback. Used two pin Molex with the panel mount ears. That way I can pop out the seatback if wearing my chute. Hid the relay behind the side panel for the back seat. Backseat switch is on the armrest, just ahead of the cushion. Front seat switch is on the right mid-cabin coverplate. The harnesses were way too long as received, so I had to do some wiring surgery to achieve my goals.

1706036891582.jpeg

I just finished wiring mine. They really do help. I am not satisfied with how it all works. I figured I needed to wire them with the switches in the panel. I was able to make it work but it was a lot more work and I will change things as soon as it warms up in spring. If you look on my panel I have an auto fuse panel just behind the usb and cigarette lighter on the right side of the panel. I was able to get the wire around the vent and under the side panels. That is where I made the junction connection. It works but just not like I want it.

I believe a better plan is to run power to the baggage area to a fuse panel so I can power the seats, camera, OX system, and another USB outlet. I am not sure why I thought I had to have the switches mounted on the panel but I drilled the holes first so I was stuck. View attachment 54733
Nice job! Can you tell me where you got the cover behind your control panel?

Decided NOT to wire my seat heaters: I have seat heating elements in my seats, however i decided not to actually wire them up - they are there if the next owner wants them. My rationale . . . the RV-14 blasts heat out of the heating vents. I live in the Northeast and rarely fly below 30*. Over New Years I did a flight to Cape Cod and OAT was 20*. I was very toasty and definitely did not need seat heaters. If I had them they would have been turned off in short order. Now for those in colder climates, i could see the desire . . . just food for thought YMMV.

Have been running the Classic Aero heated seats for a while now. Used auto fuses behind the panel since I have NO intention of resetting a heated seat in flight. All Tefzel wire after that. Goes through a dual throw toggle switch on the panel to keep his and hers separate. Can cut power to the entire system if there is a problem, for landing or in the warmer weather. Mounted included switches low on flap panel, and shortened the stock harness. I can tell at a glance if they are off, and I don’t have automotive wiring running through bulkheads. Works great.

Really like the heated seats and back in the 14. Prefer over blasting hot air at my feet and hope it makes it way to the rest of my body. On the 14 there is a recess (right below the canopy release on the pilot side and mirrored on the co-pilot side, see pics) where a switch and 1 - 7 dial indicator can be placed. Works well.

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I have my Classic Aero seats and seat heat wires in hand but not yet installed. Hopefully this week I can change that.

My seat heat switched are installed in the center of the panel, below the radio stack and above the engine controls. I know that the wires provided will not reach the seats, through the center tunnel. I'll have to do some surgery.

If the switches were mounted further aft, say in the flap motor cover, the provided harness might work.
I just finished up wiring my seat heat. This is specific to the RV-14. I ended up mounting the replays to the inside of the tunnel, about 8" aft of the spar. There is lots of clearance from the elevator pushrod. In this location, all the factory seat heat wires are plenty long enough to reach everything.

IMG_8391.jpeg

I wasn't particularly happy with the design of the wire harness and switches that came with the seats and I wanted the switches on the panel.

I put two relays under each seat - one for high and one for low. I used Honeywell AML lighted switches on the panel. These ground the relay coils so there is only a small amount of current going up to the panel.

Attachments

• panel switches.jpeg
    panel switches.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 21
  • relays.jpeg
    relays.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 21
Back