What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temporary 12'' N numbers (ADIZ crossing)

Chattin35

Well Known Member
So, I'm going to fly my -7 through the ADIZ and need bigger N-numbers. Do you guys have any recommendations for temporary 12'' lettering? Just use tape? Is there an easily removable vinyl option? Thanks!

my preferemce

My preference is to buy the 12 inch numbers from Sporty's and bring a roll of tape along just in case. My just arrived for our Spring trip to Bahamas.

TEMP N Number

If you check you will find the FAA recommends 2" wide Electrical Tape. Has to contrast with paint.

I used 3/4" wide black electrical tape in three overlapping strips. Used two rolls of the 3m brand.

Came off easy and didn't leave very much sticky residue.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Local printer

I had ours printed in a matching color to our paint. Clean the area and apply soapy water under the decal and peel it off and remove air bubbles with a squeegee.

Ours have endured three years of trips to the Bahamas at over 200 MPH.

Best,

I used the green painter's tape. It looked like ****, but you only need to use it re-entering the US, so you put it on before you take off and remove it as soon as you clear customs.
It seems foolish to invest any more than $8 for letters that will be on your plane for 1-2 hours. The Sporty's numbers are $35.

My preference is to buy the 12 inch numbers from Sporty's and bring a roll of tape along just in case. My just arrived for our Spring trip to Bahamas.

+1

Sporty's had the lowest price ($35) for a set that I could find.

They can be removed with a hair dryer when the time comes you want to remove them.

I used the Sporty's numbers and a roll of blue vinyl to cover up the star and bars underneath. It made peeling off easy too:

8746285665_06a48ce005_b.jpg

Oracal Vinyl

Using Oracal 631 vinyl works great for temporary changes. About $10 for 5 yards and you have about 25 choices of color.

You can freehand cut or if you know someone with an automated cutter it may cost another $10 or just some beer.

I haven't done it on a plane, but just had to put some temporary lettering on three boats down here in FL. Hit it with some heat and it comes off nicely. The boats were black in the FL sun and that was not enough heat to loosen the grip. One of the boats has had the lettering on for about 18 months now with no issues.

Why cover?

I used the Sporty's numbers and a roll of blue vinyl to cover up the star and bars underneath. It made peeling off easy too:

Just curious Mark, why did you cover the stars and bars?
Reason I ask is we?re planning a trip to the Bahamas and I?ll have to use temporary N numbers but had not thought about covering any faux military markings.

I used the green painter's tape. It looked like ****, but you only need to use it re-entering the US, so you put it on before you take off and remove it as soon as you clear customs.
It seems foolish to invest any more than $8 for letters that will be on your plane for 1-2 hours. The Sporty's numbers are $35.
Painters tape stays on great, peels off easily, fairly inexpensive and comes in multiple colors. Most people already have some laying around so cost is almost negligible.

:cool:

Just curious Mark, why did you cover the stars and bars?
Reason I ask is we?re planning a trip to the Bahamas and I?ll have to use temporary N numbers but had not thought about covering any faux military markings.
They were covered just to give a plain background to the N number.

I am thinking of silver vinyl checkerboard (race finish flag) for the N-numbers. Any sources?

Mark
RV10

I am thinking of silver vinyl checkerboard (race finish flag) for the N-numbers. Any sources?

Mark
RV10
The FAA requirements (14 CFR Part 45, Subpart C, Section 45.29) for a fixed wing aircraft are:

Height: 12 inches
Width: two-thirds wide as they are high
The number "1" must be one-sixth as wide as high
Letters "M" and "W" may be as high as they are wide
Thickness: Characters must be formed by solid lines one-sixth as thick as the character is high.
Spacing: no less than one-fourth of the character width
Uniformity: same height, width, thickness, and spacing on both sides of the aircraft.

So using a "checkerboard" pattern is not authorized, especially for crossing the ADIZ.

:cool:

Thanks, I figured it would be a stretch to the rules, guess silver with a thin black shadow will have to do.

Mark

I believe it was incorrect that the 12 in letter requirement is an FAA rule.
I do believe it is an ICAO rule for member nations.
and thus an FAA rule.

and thus an FAA rule.
Almost correct.
ICAO don't have rules, they just have standards and recommended practices.
Member states can vary from those SARPs, but they publish their differences from ICAO in the national Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP).

The ICAO standard actually calls for 50cm registration numbers on the underside of the wing, but the US has not adopted that although it is standard in most European and other countries.

Likewise the 3" numbers are a US variation which aren't acceptable in most other countries.

and thus an FAA rule.

A little stronger than a "rule". It is part of FAR 45.29 :)

(h) After March 7, 1988, each operator of an aircraft penetrating an ADIZ or DEWIZ must display on that aircraft temporary or permanent nationality and registration marks at least 12 inches high.

Back