What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Frasca Fly-in

N8RV

Well Known Member
I see that the fly-in at Frasca Field in Urbana, IL, is this weekend. Anybody familiar with that one? I see it's a multi-day event with camping. Worth going?

The Frasca family opens their hangars. Very nice people over there on a regular basis. You may see a P-40E, Spitfire Mark XVIII , FW-190A-9, PT17, FM-2, SNJ-5, and others. It's well worth the trip.

Very much worth going. I've been for the last several years, but can't make it this year. Camping is right on the field under your wing.

Does anyone remember the name of the field before Frasca took it over? I've forgotten what it was but I do recall the powerlines that were just off the approach end by the road to Rantoul. :rolleyes:

Don, did you get your upgrades and the plane flying?

Yeah, Dynon units are back in and running, and the weather looks GREAT for this weekend. I was looking for somewhere to go and saw the Frasca fly-in was upcoming. A guy at our field had told me that it was a great one to go to, and just wondered if many RVers usually go. And, other than Oshkosh, I've never camped at a fly-in. Might have to give it a try ...

Frasca Field was Illini airport

Frasca Field was the Illini airport for years before Rudy Frasca purchased the airport. The old runway had wires on the east end, but now they are not a problem for the new hard surface of 4000 feet. 27/09.

Cook out on Friday night and a dinner on Saturday night. At this point the north/south sod runway is a bit wet on the north end. (standing water) We hope the south end will be usable for 1200 feet or so. Check NOTAMS

This information is NOT supplied by any Frasca official.

Check NOTAMS

Perry
RV-6
RV-3
Cassutt

On Frasca Field

Frasca Field was the Illini airport for years before Rudy Frasca purchased the airport. The old runway had wires on the east end, but now they are not a problem for the new hard surface of 4000 feet. 27/09.

Cook out on Friday night and a dinner on Saturday night. At this point the north/south sod runway is a bit wet on the north end. (standing water) We hope the south end will be usable for 1200 feet or so. Check NOTAMS

This information is NOT supplied by any Frasca official.

Check NOTAMS

Perry
RV-6
RV-3
Cassutt

On Frasca Field

I called Tom Frasca yesterday because the EAA info on the fly-in said to. He gave the same report about the wet grass runway. Is the paved runway not going to be available?

I'm hoping to make it there for Friday. The weather forecast has gone from idyllic to iffy. :cool:

Frasca Fly-In

I went there a few years back when it was the Sport Aviation Association fly-in. It was a wonderful event, with very friendly people. Paul Poberezny signed my hat. We got a tour of the Frasca flight simulator factory and got to wander around and see the warbirds. We got the BEST warbird show I have ever seen (and I have been to Oshkosh about 15 of the lasts 20 years) with the P-40 and Spitfire. I highly recommend going!

Update

Well, I fired up Smokey on Friday morning and flew through hazy skies to Frasca Field. I expected a torrent of "Frasca traffic ..." calls on the radio as I neared my destination, but heard only one lone Luscombe. Turns out, it was the DAR who signed off Smokey landing ahead of me!

I only stayed on Friday, which really was just when people showed up for the Big Event, and having neglected to bring my camping gear, had to leave before the cookout.

I strolled around the field, poking my nose into each of the hangars. The cafe is adorned with a gazillion RC planes hanging from every nook and cranny of the ceiling ...
DSCN1135.jpg

A few shots of the hangar residents on the field ...
DSCN1137.jpg

DSCN1138.jpg

DSCN1142.jpg

DSCN1146.jpg

One advantage to showing up early was the opportunity to just sit around and listen as some of the stalwarts of our hobby reminisced about their heyday. It was a real treat to sit there in a small circle of chairs, listening to the likes of Paul Poberezny and Rudy Frasca recall some of their more interesting tales.

At one point, I spied a Sharpie in Paul's pocket. At a lull in the conversation, I said, "Paul, is that a Sharpie in your pocket?"

He looked down, pulled it out and answered, "Yeah, you want to borrow it?"

"No," I replied, "but I'd be happy if you'd put it to good use and sign my airplane."

He smiled and said, "Sure, bring it over here." Laughing, he got up and waved me to follow him to his golf cart, and we headed over to where Smokey was parked ...
DSCN1133.jpg

There aren't too many people whose autographs I'd want on my plane, but Paul is one.

Next year, I'm taking my tent.

We went over by Skyhawk on Saturday. Got there just as things were getting going. Said hi to Rudy as he was opening the hangars. Also helped push the BT23 a bit. Consequently, we got to go "inside the ropes" and check out the planes.

It was a pretty quiet event during the time we were there. We departed before lunch to head back home. Dunno if any of the Warbirds flew. About 20 or so experimentals and spams on the grass, many tent camping.

They have a very nice fly in, sort of a grass roots, very basic event. It could be so much more than it is, but I expect they like it small and very personable.

BTW, they have a Spitfire project for sale if anyone is interested.

Fransca Fly In 2011

My son Derek and I flew over to Urbana today from Lafayette, IN and had a great time. The highlight was getting a picture of my son with Rudy Frasca by his latest warbird, a FW-190. WOW, it looks great. Look for it at OSH next month. After a slow start in the morning due to weather planes started to come in around lunch. We had to leave early due to other commitments but we did get to meet some great people.

I was hoping to make it today, but the low clouds and scud made it dicey. Opted to stay at the airport and cut grass after waxing Smokey. Would reall have enjoyed going. Maybe next year.

Just back from Frasca. What a great venue! I am shocked more people don't attend this. How often is it that you can hang out with Paul Pobrenzny, Rod Hightower and lot's of other aviation notables. No crowds, great airplanes, great facilities and the sweet sound of the Ford Tri-motor all day

Rod arrived in his T-6 and Paul chewed him out for "taxiing with your flaps down".

kd253l.jpg

Frasca June 22-24th Urbana, IL (Frasca Field C16)

Hey all,

Just a reminder that Frasca 2012 is just around the corner. It's a great event. If you haven't been before I'd plan to come. Rudy Frasca has a personal collection of vintage and homebuilt aircraft along with great facilities and we well organized grass-roots fly-in.

You can fly in on Friday June 22 and camp till Sunday morning. Paul P. will be the keynote speaker on Saturday night and my guess is that some of the top EAA brass will be there as well. It's a great opportunity to make some new friends and see some old.

Back