What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fumes while inverted

Mr Charles

Well Known Member
I have been noticing a strong fuel oder while performing even short duration inverted flight in my RV-4. Gascolater, fuel valve and lines and tanks show no signs of leakage. I have new fuel caps. I have not noticed this during cuban eights, split esses, Immelmans, etc. Only during sustained inverted, say over 30 seconds. Any ideas???

Had the same in my -3
I believe its some fuel spilling out the vents and finding its way into the cockpit.
I sealed around the holes of the 1/4" vent lines where they exit the fuselage and the smell went away.
Mike

Fuel Smell

I had the same problem with my RV-6A. Found that the fuel vent lines on both sides in the cockpit, at the bottom next to the rudder cables had holes rubbed in them by the rudder cables letting the vented fuel smell enter the cockpit. Patched fuel vent lines and installed rudder cable covers from West Marine over the rudder cables.

I have been noticing a strong fuel oder while performing even short duration inverted flight in my RV-4. Gascolater, fuel valve and lines and tanks show no signs of leakage. I have new fuel caps. I have not noticed this during cuban eights, split esses, Immelmans, etc. Only during sustained inverted, say over 30 seconds. Any ideas???

Back