What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel labeling

Avengerboss

Well Known Member
I am in the process of wanting to label my RV8A panel (Switches & breakers). Looking for suggestions?? I did read in VAF a while back someone makes nice small press on labels but i can't find it anymore. Any suggestions would be great. :D

Decalpro

I suppose Decalpro is what you are looking for.
Basicly, it is a system for transferring a laser printing on the desired surface.
A few passages are needed to achieve the aim and if you understand the critical ones, the process is not very difficult.
Follow the instructions word by word and look for a recent thread on this subject. Also read the website. Just search for decalpro.

Hope this helps.
Ask if more is needed.

Ciao
Camillo

Labeling has been a battle for me...

I started by purchasing a Dymo label maker. I thought the labels would print an peel an look ok. Nope. The labels will work for identify the wiring bundles, but no where near the quality I want on the panel.

Next Up, Decalpro. Spent the $$ money and bought the sample pack and the laminator. Taught myself the process running lots of samples. Then I purchased more supplies to make the labels from the white foil that seemed to work best in my trials. After the supplies arrived, I spent the next couple of weeks perfecting how to get the decalpro labels to properly transfer. It takes a whole lot of practice to get the letters to transfer, and not have some small defect that causes you to redo a label. I did manage to complete my entire panel. They looked great. -- Then I had an issue with the clear coat. I used Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover. After spraying, it peeled and messed up my entire panel. YUK. So in the end, the decalpro looked great, but had huge up time for learning. I could have redone them, and found a better clear coat.

Currently, I have my panel labels out at an engraver. They are being laser etched into material that makes name plates. The material is .020 thick, and I am hoping this will work. I will post photos when I get them.

Or, you can purchase a sheet of custom printed high quality decals from one of the panel shops that make them. I know we as well as Avionics Systems will sell you a sheet of custom printed decals (in any color including metallic foils) for around $25 per 8"x11" sheet. Put 'em on, clearcoast with some urethane and they melt into the clear, leaving a very nice finish...

Silkscreening is an option, the Decalpro is well....kind of an option that sort works for some people, and surprisingly many of the little Brother type office printers with labels made on clear end up pretty nice too. Engraved overlays from Wanyne and Aircraft Engravers are also very well done (we use them when people want engraved overlays). You can also buy pre-made (or have some custom made) dry transfer labels.

There are a lot of ways to do it, but no matter what you choose it still takes time to get them all straight and level! Be patient and most methods will work well.

Cheers,
Stein

The way I did it went to a hobby shop and a craft store bought several sizes of rub on letters lined then up and used a old bell point pen that was out of ink and rubbed then on one at the time very tedious and you must be patient. I used fine line tape to make a straight line there is a picture on my kitlog web page go to date 11-01-08 if you would like to see how it came out you will have to clear them.Link at bottom of reply.

Make your layout and distance just the way you want. Print it out in the font and size that you want............. Then take it to your local sign shop.

Decal Pro

Same thing that happened with Peter (post 3) happened with me (had to repaint the panels too -- real pain). The thing to remember about applying the clear is you have to apply two very very light mist coats first (tack coats), then apply a regular coat. You must wait 10 minutes between coats. If you try a solid coat first, it gets under the deals and it's start over time (after having spent a whole bunch of time getting it set how you want). I like the Decalpro, but you have to be very patient and plan on a lot of time. In the end, it looks great and I believe is worth it. Dave

Last edited:
I printed my "computer drawn" decal sheets on a color inkjet printer. Used different fonts, colors, borders, etc. for items like switches, as well as the passenger warning decal. I'd make copies of each decal to fill a whole sheet. Print, let dry, and then spray the sheet with a clear sealer from a spray can. These have held up well, and I don't have to spray any kind of sealer on the panel.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Most of mine are from the local engraving shop. Since my panel is black anodized aluminum, it was relatively easy for the engraving shop to etch my labels on thin (0.010?) black anodized as well. Downside is that if you change anything, you gotta go back to the shop and get them to redo the label. Not cheap, but not outrageously expensive either. I had them etch a circle with a dot in the center for things like switches so I could accurately drill the holes properly.

greg

Back