What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Use of alternator Over Voltage protection

Graham

Hi all,

I am close to finishing my RV6 in New Zealand and have a non labelled alternator purchased from Vans back in 2006, presumably internally regulated.

Having extensively studied feedback on these forums I am concerned at reports of overvoltage scenarios on these internally regulated devices, and have been considering installing the relatively inexpensive Overvoltage protection system developed by Bob Nuckolls & sold by B & C. This installs an alternator Contactor operated by the "Field" power, and an Over voltage device. When the OV device trips it opens the contactor thus cutting off the alternator output.

Has anybody had experience (good or bad) of using this system?

I suspect that the only "sleep easy" alternative is to install the B&C alternator plus regulator & overvoltage protection system, which would set me back over USD750 plus local taxes.

Thank you in anticipation for reading this post.

Best wishes to all,
Graham Murphy

Hi all,

I am close to finishing my RV6 in New Zealand and have a non labelled alternator purchased from Vans back in 2006, presumably internally regulated.

Having extensively studied feedback on these forums I am concerned at reports of overvoltage scenarios on these internally regulated devices, and have been considering installing the relatively inexpensive Overvoltage protection system developed by Bob Nuckolls & sold by B & C. This installs an alternator Contactor operated by the "Field" power, and an Over voltage device. When the OV device trips it opens the contactor thus cutting off the alternator output.

Has anybody had experience (good or bad) of using this system?

I suspect that the only "sleep easy" alternative is to install the B&C alternator plus regulator & overvoltage protection system, which would set me back over USD750 plus local taxes.

Thank you in anticipation for reading this post.

Best wishes to all,
Graham Murphy

Looking at similar options myself to replace my Plane Power alternator .

Internal regulated alternators can have the field controlled by an external switch with minor alterations, then use http://www.periheliondesign.com/lovm.htm which eliminates the additional contactor

Regards Peter. ,( ex Kiwi )

Back