What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for 7 or 7A with IO-390

aaronmx

Hi all, I'm in the preliminary acquisition stage of an 80% complete 7A with a TMX390 and would like to know what to expect from anyone/those having experience with that combination. Short-story as succinctly as possible, my uncle spent several years building (meticulously), is "getting older" as he says and has lost interest. I have the opportunity to purchase and complete. One plane I have not sat in or flown is an RV and I'd love to know what to expect. Any and all insight, suggestions, advisement, etc. is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

It will be the best flying airplane you have ever had the opportunity to pilot.

Not to worry about the engine. Remember, the O-320 150 HP was designed to power a four place plane and here you are with an 1100 lb, two place plane, powered by a 210 HP engine.

Its performance will be an eye opener.

Welcome to VAF. The official welcoming committee will get with you shortly.

There are several RVs in your area. Any one of them would be happy to take you for an intro flight. Look on the main page and open the RV White pages. http://www.vansairforce.net/rvwp.htm

No idea what type experience you have with piloting, but transition training is a must, at least for your insurance. flying an airplane where you think left and the next thing you know, you are in a 60 degree banked turn is a real treat. 1500-2000 fpm climb out on takeoff is also a thrill. Not to mention, almost 3 mi/min cruise.

What a great setup! buy him a BEER or twenty and discuss price! offer him all the free rides he wants ect! How far along is he in the build?

Bill Gill

Hi Aaron,

You might want to check with Bill Gill out in Lees Summit, MO (billgill on this forum). He has a -7 tipup with an IO-390 that he as been flying for several years (I took my transition training from him in that plane). FWIW - that plane has a lot of grunt! Fun to fly.

Dan

Thanks for the info guys, I'm expecting stellar performance but I can only guess... I'm sold but flying one will only motivate further (as you owners already know). Compared to the relatively slow Arrow I currently fly I'm confident the RV grin will preside from t/o roll on through the landing. And perhaps weeks after!

Still on the bottom at 600 hours and yes sir, transition training until I am proficient. Thanks Dan for the info on Mr. Gill, I'll be contacting him next and maybe he will have the opportunity for some training soon.

It belongs to my uncle who enjoyed the build and dedicated many hours but due to health concerns has lost interest. Jay Pratt estimated it at 80% but unfortunately isn't accepting new builds at the time. It's a done deal as soon as I can find a builder. I lack the desire and time is a factor so I'm in the process of finding a builder to help with the completion. To clarify, my typical work week far exceeds the usual and with the time remaining I work on a helicopter build. With an RV, I'd never finish either thus the need.

Thanks again to all of you for the replies and I look forward to becoming part of the owner family. Aaron

Tread carefully. Make sure you understand the 51% rule. Was this a Quick build kit from Vans, or 'slow build'?

Tread carefully. Make sure you understand the 51% rule. Was this a Quick build kit from Vans, or 'slow build'?

The 51% rule pertains to the manufacture of the kit not the builder. Only the kit has to meet the 51% rule and the FAA has found that the RV's do. Yes, even the quick build kits meet it. 20 people or more can work on the airplane and share in the build and it still meets the 51% rule.

Hiring someone to finish the kit is another matter entirely. He likely will not be able to receive the repairman's certificate, (if he even is interested in it).

Finding a DAR who will agree to sign it off as having being built "for education and recreation" when it was finished by a hired gun will be the sticking point. Since his uncle obviously was doing that, it may not be hard to convince a DAR ???

My understanding, anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Joe

This was the slow build and thank you for the info., I am aware of the regulation. It is possible that I'll get to build more than anticipated.

This was the slow build and thank you for the info., I am aware of the regulation. It is possible that I'll get to build more than anticipated.

Do you attend the Moontown breakfast every third Saturday? Usually a flock of RVs in attendance.

By the way, the performance of any RV compared to the Arrow will be impressive regardless of the engine. You will be so giddy you won't be able to tell whether an O-390 or O-320 is spinning the fan. :)

Last edited:
Do you attend the Moontown breakfast every third Saturday? Usually a flock of RVs in attendance.

By the way, the performance of any RV compared to the Arrow will be impressive regardless of the engine. You will be so giddy you won't be able to tell whether an O-390 or O-320 is spinning the fan. :)

Hi Mr. Buchanan, yes and no, I attend when able and that isn't as often as I'd like but I did see several at the last I was at. I'm actually hoping to make todays and if not, I'm always aiming for the next. Thanks

Back