What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Dilemma

tectweaker

Well Known Member
I have got an interesting problem in front of me.

I was able to source a Plane and Power Alternator Locally. However, it came with a boss mount kit. I had ordered a alternator case mount bracket from van's. This was an older unit from a friend and probably does not have warranty.

I quickly found out that the van's bracket will not be a good fit for the plane and power alternator. And the bracket from plane and power is almost 100 bucks. This makes the current alternator poor choice given I don't have warranty for it. I might as well get something new and complete.

At this point I have few choices:

- Get a complete new kit for plane power alternator from spruce - this would include the right case mount bracket - it still needs me to have the baffling modified and cowling clearance issues looked at.

- Forget the front mount and get a SD8 - I was thinking about it initially and did not think that it would fit. My current draw is very low - 1 small radio; 1 txponder and a mini efis. Looks the simplest and easiest. Will need to add the regulator and OV protection separately

- Get the SD20 - This might be a good compromise. Will need to add the regulator and OV protection separately.

- Go the automotive alternator route. The bracket I have should fit with a tension arm. It does not look like there is a bracket for it that I have - that would connect the alternator and starter. Will need to change the pulley. I have found an alternator locally but don't know where to get the pulley from yet.

Any thoughts are welcome? Anybody has a unit locally or a case mount bracket in San Jose area that would be a very cool :)

Alternator dilemma

Carefully check the advertisments in KitPlanes, sport aviation, sometimes you can find the B&C experimental alternator kit for a real good price. Compared to all the screwing around you might do with a car alternator, regulator, brackets etc. I had already been that route and managed to mangle an autozone alternator, then found the B&C deal, Could have been $200 toward avgas and a couple days closer to flying.

Keith Rhea
RV-7
140 hours
Donated for 2016

I had the Nippon auto alternator in my -10 at the beginning. Got about 90 hours on it before it took a dump. Swapped it out for the B&C set-up and happy I did!

Back