What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

? on time/complexity to build the fuselage.

bobhope2505

For those of you who have completed both the empennage and fuselage, can you compare the complexity and time required between the two kits for me? I'm finishing my empennage in the next two weeks and planning my next step. If the fuselage is similar in complexity and time required, then I'll build it from a standard kit next. If it requires significantly more time, then I'll go quickbuild and do it last. No matter what I'm buying quickbuild wings. If I can't finish the fuselage in 8 months or less working at the same pace, then I need to move things long and go quickbuild.

Thanks,

Syrus

Tail and fuse times

I spent 270 hrs on tail kit and 400 on fuselage kit. Both kits would have been much quicker without primer.

What was it about the fuselage that took the time? I'm nearing wing completion and wings took about 400-500 hours I think.

Wing time

I spent 520 hours on the wings. Again, can be MUCH quicker without primer.

Last edited:
I have 240 hours on the empennage. This is without any of the fiberglass work done. Just the main pieces being completed.

I am at 204 hours on the fuselage and am currently on riveting the sideskins to the frame. I would say I have at least another 200 hours to go on the fuselage.

I have 319 on the wings and they are complete minus the bottom skins and fiberglass work.

I have done rattle can primer on all mating surfaces.

As far as complexity...I wouldn't say it is all that much more complex. Much of it is the exact same thing you are doing on the empennage. A lot of deburring, counter sinking, dimpling, riveting. It looks like once I get past the aft fuse attach it becomes more systems installation related then sheet metal work which will be a little different. Also you start working with stainless which isn't a big deal. The only thing that is a little difficult is that I am scotch briting the areas that will be painted on the interior. It can be difficult to judge what will be painted on the interior and what will be covered up. Additionally the fuselage requires a lot more help in the form of another person for riveting.

Additionally the fuselage requires a lot more help in the form of another person for riveting.

That's important information for me. Thanks. Due to the odd hours I have available to work in the shop I don't have much in the way of help. It's going to have to be a quickbuild if I want this thing to fly while I'm still young.

For the forward fuselage I only needed help for two middle rows on the floor of the fuse.
I required more help when joining the front and aft fuse parts together but you will still be doing that with or without a quick build fuse.
If you want to save a few bucks, the forward fuse is quite straight forward with excellent documentation.

I was planning on doing the fuselage the old fashioned way. I have been priming with AKZO and the only downside of that has been that I've had to batch up and sequence a bit to get that done; it has slowed things down mainly because I have to have a longer dedicated period of time to setup paint and tear down - all weather dependent (I prime outside). I made a little paint table for small parts but it just doesn't work as well as when I paint with the good light outside. Unfortunately it rains 73 inches a year here in south louisiana.

My wings and tail are well primed and will last 40 years; longer than I will. I think I will shoot primer on the fuse parts too just because I've done it so far. I might not prime the sides of things facing the cockpit though just so that when I do put a topcoat on most of them get primer and topcoat without a delay between. I am awfully tempted to not worry about priming the fuselage though.

A friend used the speckled rustoleum spray can paint on the interior and it is tough as nails; and hides minor flaws very well. But I also like the look of the green primer and if I had my interior primer colored wouldn't that be easy!

Back