What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel mounted USB power ports for Apple devices?

Buggsy2

Well Known Member
Can anybody recommend panel-mounted USB ports to supply power for Apple devices (iPhone/iPad)? I'm not sure if the Apple devices require some special signaling circuitry of the USB port to accept power.

I can use a cigarette lighter receptacle and then a plug-in adapter, but I'd like to plug directly into a USB port to charge.

usb ports

Google Blue Sea systems or put that into Amazon. these are panel mount,
1" hole and have 1/4" faston connectors on the back. Put three in my 7 but don't have photo on work computer.
Rv7 with one more db9 connector to wire up for port wing, engine start maybe this weekend.

Dues paid

Keith Rhea

I'm guessing the I-Pad needs 2.1 amp chargers like the other Tablets.

I talked to Stein and saw his USB charger offerings. Good stuff as always. Might get one later to permanently mount in the panel.

I found what I was looking for in a dual receptacle unit designed to plug into a cigarette plug. It was being sold at the Sporty's tent. Part number 6588A for 15 bucks. It worked great for my Samsung tablet on the way home.

Sportys USB Plug

I did not want to buy one from a non aviation source because I had heard some included power regulators that were very noisy in RF (switching regulators). The one from Sporty's worked fine and was 10 bucks cheaper than any other 2.1 amp unit I had seen at Best Buy or others.

Last edited:
I could not find where it stated the USBs were 2.1 amp.
Do you know for sure?
Tablets won't charge on a 1 amp socket (at least mine wont). :(
It'll charge......but really slowly, and only if you're not actually using it!

An iPad needs 2.1A @ 5V to charge at the same rate you'd get from its stock Apple power supply and its internal charger won't accept any more than this anyway, so 2.1A will give you as good as you can get anywhere.

You can pump 1A into it (like you'd get from an iPhone power supply) but the basic math shows that it'll charge at just under half the rate - but with battery consumption at the time, eg the screen on, you may still get a net discharge.

And beware the dual USB port current claims! Sometimes they claim a total current capacity but it's shared over the 2 ports. Reputable dual port chargers will be clear in exactly how many amps are available per port.

Last edited:
Yes. I manufacture one. It is sold by Wicks, Spruce, Airparts, and B&B. Here are some links. Could not find it on B&B web site, but they do have them in stock.

They now have a black front face, not the less attractive white one shown in the pictures. I make these with no LED indicator so it does not blind you when flying at night. Current draw is also under 2 miliamps when not charging so you can wire it direct to the battery and use it without turning on the master switch. Great for charging while at shows with the master off since most master relays draw 3 amps or so.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircra...ver=10&categid=100&prodid=4260&origin=keyword

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/panelmount11-12631.php?clickkey=1397509

https://www.airpartsinc.com/shopexd.asp?id=1858&bc=no

Brian Kraut
EA Manufacturing

Back