What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Customs broker

Ron B.

Well Known Member
After receiving the invoice for my tail kit entry into Canada from the broker my firm uses, I just closed my personal connection with them. I will decide later on my firm's position. The invoice included the following.
(1) $592.3 GST $592.3
(2) $15 plus $2.25 GST EDI clearance(what ever that is) $17.25
(3) $25 plus $3.75 GST One time/first time importer(not true) $28.75 (4) $50 plus $7.5 GST After hr. charge (truck crossed holiday) $57.5
(5) $74 plus 11.1 GST Brokerage fee $85.1
To me that's $188.6 brokerage fees for clearing one box. Not bad for a few minutes work if you know what your doing. Not many Doctors can pull that off. Now I don't know much about clearing things at customs other than when I went to customs directly to clear my shipments (long drive). With a Government paid official doing the work at their pace it only took a couple minutes to fill out the forms.
Seeing that all my shipments from the USA are aircraft parts, is there something better than just opening up a joint account with a broker so they can help themselves to what they want , to get my shipment on a commercial carrier cleared. I find that the carrier themselves charge a premium for brokerage. Other than those living near a border what are others in Canada doing to clear your shipment.
Can I go to the local customs office (if it's still open) with a copy of the invoice and the shippers waybill # and clear the shipment myself? This office will not be at the port of entry. You would think one could self clear a shipment online once you are registered with them, something like E-APIS?
Thanks Ron

I think this is why they are called "brokers". It's what they do.

PM sent.

Bevan

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any online option to self broker but I know that brokers can operate from anywhere in Canada and not have to be in the same port of entry as your shipment so I should think that you should be able to go to any customs office to clear your shipment and then fax/email the paperwork to your shipper.

I decided to try ClearSmart.ca as a customs broker to import my wing kit. Their brokerage fee ended up being about $90. You still have to pay taxes though but that can't be avoided.

Cheers.

Brokerage fees

Ship everything you can by U.S. Postal Service. items under $20 are just delivered to you no tax, no brokerage nothing. Great for small parts, replacement things that get "Ooopsed" etc.
Other higher value items up to believe $1600 Canadian dollar value get cleared for around $10. Call your local customs office and Canada post for dollar value and clearing costs to be sure before you ship.
Never use ups ground. Brokerage charges are similar or worse than what you experienced.
UPS and fedex air shipment (I use 2 or 3 day air) clear parcels for fairly small processing fees and they do not usually charge you for brokerage.
So any air shipment is good but the shipping cost can be up there. At least you would get faster shipping for your money. Note that you can usually add a day at least to their delivery schedule. i.e. 2 day air would arrive in 3 business days or more.
ANother thing you can do is find a broker that is in the U.S.. Probably much cheaper. My company uses Livingston.

Brokerage

For large it parts you might think of meeting the trucker State Side and clearing the aircraft parts accross the border yourself.
I used Partains, met the driver just theother side of the border, loaded the 7A into a U-Haul and cleared it myself. Tax only. Away I went.
Just make sure you have all the original Van's invoices and descriptions of everything. Cost me about $100 for the U-Haul including fuel.
Start building and the brokerage pain will dissipate. :)

Brokerage

Ron,
I also use customs brokerages at work, however, I use Fed Ex brokerage for all my personal aircraft items. They don't charge a fee for small parts, and charged me only $50 to clear a fast build kit with lots of big boxes.

I find their service excellent, and they provide good value in comparison to the postal service. Also, I can lower the Fed Ex freight cost by having items held at the local Fed-Ex facility, and picking them up on my way home from work.

You can avoid brokerage hassles if you buy from the Ontario location of Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, although they do charge a generous exchange rate.

Jay Bell
Olds, AB

I've always left the choosing of the shipping company up to Barb at Van's. I'm wandering if I should do the quoting from this end and have the brokerage including. Anyone line up shipping from Van's from there end?
I sent a polite e-mail to my brokerage firm, directly to the agent I have been dealing with for my business, informing him I wanted to close my personal transactions with them.
I received a request to hold off making a decision until the owner returned from vacation so that they can discuss my invoice. Unlike the lady I spoke to about the invoice , he said things were taken care of as should have. I wasn't asking him to fix things just explaining why I was leaving.
I'll wait to see what comes of this.

Ship everything you can by U.S. Postal Service. items under $20 are just delivered to you no tax, no brokerage nothing. Great for small parts, replacement things that get "Ooopsed" etc.
Other higher value items up to believe $1600 Canadian dollar value get cleared for around $10. Call your local customs office and Canada post for dollar value and clearing costs to be sure before you ship.
Never use ups ground. Brokerage charges are similar or worse than what you experienced.
UPS and fedex air shipment (I use 2 or 3 day air) clear parcels for fairly small processing fees and they do not usually charge you for brokerage.
So any air shipment is good but the shipping cost can be up there. At least you would get faster shipping for your money. Note that you can usually add a day at least to their delivery schedule. i.e. 2 day air would arrive in 3 business days or more.
ANother thing you can do is find a broker that is in the U.S.. Probably much cheaper. My company uses Livingston.

From past experience, any USPS shipment with a declared value of less than $75. is not intercepted by Canada Customs and is delivered directly.
M

Don't get me going on Brokers.

Ron,

I've been down that road a few times.

I've started using a local suffrage warehouse for imports. Your stuff is shipped by a bonded carrier to the warehouse, they give you the paperwork and you take it to the customs office. You pay the taxes and any other fees and in effect become your own broker. I saved a fair bit of cash doing this. My friend had his entire Searey kit shipped the same way. It cuts out the middle man.

@Mike, unfortunately there is a limit on what you can ship via USPS. I don't think you could get a tail kit that way (or if the tail kit meets the limits, maybe it's the wing kit that they won't take, I forget now). I agree, for most smaller shipments, USPS is the way to go. Canada post charges $5 for handling, if GST/PST is payable, and you're on your way. If no axes are payable, the parcel may even be on your doorstep when you get home.

From personal experience, parcels up to $300 declared value have been received sans taxes.

Shipping to Canada

Paul,

Could you expand a bit on the local suffrage warehouse for imports - Halifax somewhere?

I'm about to order a tool kit followed by a tail kit. The surprise add ons when Shipping from the States by UPS bugs me.

I know this thread is a little dated but figured I'd ask.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I had forgot about Paul's response, I was planning on trying that method. I have an engine being shipped , left on the 11th and had Van's and/or Lycoming line up shipping including brokerage . The quoted rate was good but we will see how it turns out when the engine arrives.

Hey Ron,

Nice to see there are other RV builders in NS. I took a look in the white pages, more folks in the province then I thought building these machines. Do you know of any 7's in the area?

Waiting on an engine, eh? I was excited last week just to take delivery of a rivet gun and air drill:rolleyes:.

I'll check with the owner of a local trucking company here on a good way to do this... never thought to ask him before...

I think for the tail and tool kit, I'll pack up the wife and kids and drive to Maine. Wonder if there are others making orders in the future that may want to go in on a trip Stateside?

If you are ever in Waterville, let me know. Would like to say hi. Guess the airport is still set to close this Fall... Better not get myself going on that!!

Shipping to Canada

Guys

Make sure that you ask your shipper to write on the Customs declaration that the parts included are ''Aviation Parts'' as there is no Customs ( Duty ) fee on Aviation Parts as per NAFTA.

Enjoy the build..

Bruno
[email protected]

Ron.

So how did the engine shipping work out? I'm just about to place an order and sure could use some advice.

I did get your number and will give you a shout after school starts up again.

Thanks.

Lycoming took care of the brokerage, but I still got a call from the freight company asking who I wanted for a broker. They told me I was wrong that the $650 did not include brokerage. A call to Van's and the shipment was on it's way in no time. I never had to pay the 15% tax and am still waiting for an invoice for that.

Al,

Sorry I didn't get back to you, I over looked this thread. The suffrage warehouse was in the Burnside Park in Dartmouth, but I can't remember the name. It shouldn't be hard to find though.

Hi Paul,

So the idea is you make sure the carrier is "bonded" when arranging shipping? That way they can cross the border freely and leave your item in Burnside? That makes sense. I'll find it.

Man I get tired of getting biffed to ship things to Canada.

Thanks for the info.

Back