What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Amount of tank sealant needed for elevator

bobhope2505

Is the 1 oz. size tank sealant and accelerator enough to do all 8 of the foam trailing edge ribs for both the left and right side of the elevator? I bought 2 and used one on the trim tab. Want to make sure I have enough before I start.

This is awesome and thanks to BobHope for the original question. This is my work for tomorrow or Sunday. I will complete the riveting of the skins to the front spar on my starboard elevator tonight after work and move this. So the timing is perfect.

I am probably profligate with my proseal but i very much did not want to run short half way through an elevator.

I noted on the blog is says you buttered the ribs. I put in on the skins on the trim tab assembly. Is there a substantive difference other than in this install the acccess to the scuffed areas is very limited making buttering the skins a real chore?

On the thirty minute pot life.... i jsut added a kitchen timer to my equipment list. Limited clecos...I reckon the 5 or so that align with each rib until you get all ribs in and then the board and the weight and then the last of the clecos.

I also had not thought of the preapply of the one side of the wedge to the skin prior. I did learn enough from the rudder that I know to apply that double sided tape to the wedge not the skin.... arrggghh.

So excellent thread and pics. I hope mine turns out as nice as yours has.

One might be tight

I choose to do it in two steps, so I used two of the 1 oz containers... I was worried I would be short.

I think that if I was really organized, there would have been enough to do it with one, but I didn't want to be caught short.

Is there a substantive difference other than in this install the acccess to the scuffed areas is very limited making buttering the skins a real chore?

It seemed that applying proseal to the skin surfaces would take more time and waste more material. It was very easy to butter up the ribs evenly without wasting much.

The only change I would make if I did it again would be to start with the right elevator first so that if I ran into any delays, I could stop after getting that side done and just order another bottle for the other side.

Back