What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PPL training DVD question

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
My wife Laura is ready to get her PPL, and is thinking of using the King school DVD course to do the ground school.

Anybody out there know if it is possible to install the King PPL ground school DVD on both a desktop, and laptop computer???

Or, are they protected so that only a single device can use them??

How about being able to run a used DVD, if we pick one up from another VAFer??

Thanks in advance.

PPL

That's great. I've never used them but would recommend looking for local community college or university continuing education programs. I just enrolled my grandmanson in one at UT Austin. $129 plus $125 for materials. Class meets twice a week in the evening and he keeps the materials. I did it years ago and really liked the interactive learning.

She already did a local course 6 or 7 years ago, and passed the written-----but she did not follow through and get the license, so that prior training is now kinda stale.

Now what she is looking for is an easy way to refresh on her own time, thus the question was specific to the DVD based course.

Sportys DVD

Mike,

I'm currently using the Sporty's Learn to Fly DVD series. No problem using it on my laptop as well as my desktop.

It did not ask for a "key" or any other input that would give one the impression that the number of devices is limited or being counted.

I purchased the set from another VAF'er.

Mike

Thanks Mike, good to know that Sporty's will work.

Anybody know about King??

I had the King/Cessna course and it was a real PITA to use. It was an interactive course and I had so many problems getting it unlocked that I ended up throwing it away ($300) and purchased a Sporty's course. That was about 10 years ago so maybe they have improved the software to work since then.

Sporty's Internet Private Pilot Course

Mike,

I'm currently using the Sporty's Learn to Fly DVD series. No problem using it on my laptop as well as my desktop.

It did not ask for a "key" or any other input that would give one the impression that the number of devices is limited or being counted.

I purchased the set from another VAF'er.

Mike

I purchased the internet version of their private pilot course. You will have access from any internet capable computer or I-pad.

I purchased the internet version of their private pilot course. You will have access from any internet capable computer or I-pad.

Hmmmmmm you just may have changed my ( actually my wife's) mind about getting the course on DVD.

Thanks for the input----------VAF brain trust at work.

+1 on king being a PITA.
I bought them as well but to really use them effectively I found and downloaded a copy from the interwebs without all the cruft.

I had the King/Cessna course and it was a real PITA to use. It was an interactive course and I had so many problems getting it unlocked that I ended up throwing it away ($300) and purchased a Sporty's course. That was about 10 years ago so maybe they have improved the software to work since then.

On a windows based system I have found very few things that software can't take care of. There are a whole level of programs for legit copying like DVD Fab, Handbrake and tons of others.

I don't know how difficult King is to use. I had Sporty's (it's just outdated). My wife want Gleim since she's familiar with their accounting/CPA packages. I was tempted to try one of the $50 DVD's from King just to see what its like.

Bob

Back