What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Borescopes - anyone try the ipad ones?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
Seems there are a LOT of tiny video cams available that you can plug into your iPhone or iPod, Ipad etc. ( some are even wireless!)

Of course, they have to fit into the spark plug hole, and not all have a mirror, which would be a Huge benefit.
...for about $30, anyone tried one?......being able to view on a nice big screen, and easily record the video, send to your engine guys etc.
.......sounds like a great addition to the toolbox!

Seems there are a LOT of tiny video cams available that you can plug into your iPhone or iPod, Ipad etc. ( some are even wireless!)

Of course, they have to fit into the spark plug hole, and not all have a mirror, which would be a Huge benefit.
...for about $30, anyone tried one?......being able to view on a nice big screen, and easily record the video, send to your engine guys etc.
.......sounds like a great addition to the toolbox!

Got any links? For $30 it would be worth a try.

Borescope (endoscope)

I bought and endoscope for < $20.00 and a small 400 power microscope and they are both USB but work fine on my macbook. Haven't used them yet to scope a cylinder. I have used the microscope to look at dimples up close. Seem to work pretty good given the amount of money spent.
Amazon seems like was the source.

KRhea RV7
Started Aug 2012, tail finished, wings finished
Fuse about to be boat stage.
O320 D2A
Catto prop
Paid for 2013

No joy

Tried my $80 mini usb dental camera on the ipad.
Draws too much power on the ipad at least on the mini that I use.
Those things are very frugal with power use.
Works fine on a mac book though.
Of course I had first bought a converter for USB to the Ipad mini plug, almost $30 and useless now but now you won't have to make the same mistake.:)

I got one on ebay for about $25 and it has a 30' cable. It works ok, not great but ok. It was fun to push it around in the engine and it works great for wing inspections and putting the screws back in after taking the tanks off. It was worth it and the long cord helps as long as you have a laptop or tablet.

some found on eBay - more pireps?

anyone have the exact link? the $35 ones look ok, but if the resolution isn't good enough to see a burnt valve, then it's not much use, eh? :)
thx for any feedback

Back